Trouble getting filling all bottles from Coopers fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bram

Reaction score
Bottled my first brew last night but struggled to fill all bottles. The tap is quite high so I tipped the fermenter over to help. This allowed me to fill a few more but a fair but of sediment went in.
Has anyone else had this problem and any tips?
Thanks in advance of any replies!

I cold crashed my fermenter for three days in a icewater bath and my last bottle I tilted the keg in order to get all of it out. got a good amount of sediment I just marked it and used it as an experimental bottle to see what it tasted like with extra sediment inside. all the rest of the brews were very clear

I cold crashed my fermenter for three days in a icewater bath and my last bottle I tilted the keg in order to get all of it out. got a good amount of sediment I just marked it and used it as an experimental bottle to see what it tasted like with extra sediment inside. all the rest of the brews were very clear

The sediment will all settle to the bottom of the bottle during conditioning so those bottles will just have a little more sediment than the rest. No problem, I used to get a lot of sediment because I bottled as soon as fermentation was done. Now I leave my beer in the fermenter longer and get very little sediment if I an careful when I bottle.

Bram said:
Bottled my first brew last night but struggled to fill all bottles. The tap is quite high so I tipped the fermenter over to help. This allowed me to fill a few more but a fair but of sediment went in.
Has anyone else had this problem and any tips?
Thanks in advance of any replies!

Next time carefully rack the beer into a bottling bucket first instead of going directly from the fermenter.

duboman said:
Next time carefully rack the beer into a bottling bucket first instead of going directly from the fermenter.

Thanks again for the replies.
Duboman, please excuse the ignorance of a novice but can you explain how to do this? Cheers!

I still use my Cooper's micro brew fermenter. but since I started bulk priming with a bottling bucket,do this; Take the pin valve off the lil bottler wand & insert it into the sanitized spout on the spigot. Then cut a lenght of 3/8" ID tubing to fit over the open end of that,then down to half way around the bottom of the bottling bucket. Then when your priming solution is ready,start racking the beer into the bottling bucket. Get maybe 5" of beer in it,then pour in half the priming solution slowly into the surface of the swirling beer. When about 2/3 done,pour in the rest. You'll have to GENTLY TIP the FV to get the rest of the beer out.
Besides,after 3-4 weeks in primary,the yeast cake should be compacted fairly tight by now. If when you're done racking it off,& get some yeast in the line,then just don't let that part run all the way through.
I made my bottling bucket with the Italian spigot fairly close to the bottom. Don't have to tip it as much that way. ?And I get all but a couple TBSP of beer out. Grainy stuff stays on the bottom too.

I made the coopers wheat beer and i ended up tipping the bucket over a bit to get the last bit of beer out. i marked of the last 10 or so bottles because i was curious if they would taste or look different. the first bottles where ok but the last 10, with the extra sediment where amazing! i guess all of the yeast had settled to the bottom and i managed to tip a bit of it from the cake into the last bottles.
not sure if i could safely replicate this for the whole batch without getting trub in the bottles.

Back