Yeast raft or infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
It's not fuzzy just a large slick in my secondary after a few weeks

image-3328814648.jpg

Attachments

• image-382203287.jpg
    image-382203287.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,504
  • image-1508738718.jpg
    image-1508738718.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,527
Maybe someone else can second or nix this, but I'd try agitating it a bit and see what happens. If it stays together I'd side with mold, if it breaks up, then bubbles...

Looks like some sort of aerobic bacteria infection. The problem here is that there is too much headspace in the secondary. It should be filled up to the neck of the bottle.

Luckily it doesn't look too bad, you caught it early, and the solution is pretty simple; Rack out from underneath the pellicle, add some sulfites if that's you thing, and then bottle or age longer in an appropriately sized carboy.

Looks like some sort of aerobic bacteria infection. The problem here is that there is too much headspace in the secondary. It should be filled up to the neck of the bottle.

Luckily it doesn't look too bad, you caught it early, and the solution is pretty simple; Rack out from underneath the pellicle, add some sulfites if that's you thing, and then bottle or age longer in an appropriately sized carboy.

That's what I was going to say- it's important to top up. A jug/carboy not topped up is susceptible not only to infection (due to the oxygen in the headspace) but also to oxidation (again, due to the air/oxygen in the headspace).

I usually try and top up but after I racked to secondary I lost more than I anticipated resulting in too much head space , now for the real kicker . When I pulled this jug out of the case of jugs that all my one gallon jugs are stored in it got caught and jarred it pretty bad breaking up that raft .....now what

I usually try and top up but after I racked to secondary I lost more than I anticipated resulting in too much head space , now for the real kicker . When I pulled this jug out of the case of jugs that all my one gallon jugs are stored in it got caught and jarred it pretty bad breaking up that raft .....now what

It'll reform.

I'd still rack, to a smaller vessel, with 1 crushed tablet per gallon (or a whole one if that's less than a gallon).

Just drink it, stick it in the fridge and after it gets chilled start drinking, if you bottle it infected its just going to keep growing. Enjoy it now. WVMJ

Just drink it, stick it in the fridge and after it gets chilled start drinking, if you bottle it infected its just going to keep growing. Enjoy it now. WVMJ

Agreed! And the bottles will pop the corks as it keeps growing.

Since it's only one gallon, and you don't want to rack to a new container, I'd stick it in the fridge and drink it. It could be racked to a growler-sized container (1/2 gallon) or something, but I wouldn't bottle it.

This looks just like the one and only infection I got in a batch of beer. Looked like a strange ice slick growing on top. I just racked from under it, bottled and let it carb up. Tasted fine to everybody that drank that batch.

I would first taste it, regardless of what is in there, nothing is going to make you sick. If you like it you have 2 options: 1) drink it right now, 2) pasteurize it, then bottle it

nice job on providing good pictures. I think I learned something from your experience and for that I thank you!

Swifty

Latest posts

Back