Yeast starter ready??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyshambo21

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to brewing and this site. I am hoping to brew my 4th batch tonight. I made my first yeast starter on Thursday night and I'm not sure if it's ready to pitch. From the research I've found on HBT, it's had plenty of time to ferment and reach high krausen, (and I did see quite a bit of activity as of last night/ this morning), however to me it looks like there is plenty of yeast still in suspension. Not sure if I need it to clear up more, or if it's ready to roll? thoughts?

Also, when pitching, can you pitch yeast at a cold temp.? My understanding is that it is best to pitch at room temperature, but I wanted to check. I would ideally like to chill my starter and decant some of the wort prior to pitching.

IMG_1624.jpg

Ideally you would pitch your yeast at exactly the same temp as your beer.
Starter looks fine, thats such a small volume that even if you pitch the whole thing including the spent wort in it should have minimal effect on your finished product.

Also, when pitching, can you pitch yeast at a cold temp.?

Yes. I was hesitant to do so before reading that it is actually standard practice for a lot of highly experienced brewers. My first fermentation "cold pitching" directly out of the fridge resulted in one of my shortest lag times ever and a fantastically clean/attenuated beer. It feels "wrong" pitching it cold, but it works (at least in my experience).

I would ideally like to chill my starter and decant some of the wort prior to pitching.

That's the other great part about cold-pitching. You can easily decant off the starter wort right before pitching into your batch of beer.

Latest posts

Back