Nor Cal Yeast Beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DReimerMT

Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a yeast starter set up. I was on the NorCal Brewing Solutions website and saw the Yeast Beast. I was wondering if this product works and if it is as effective as other yeast starter set ups because:
1. It uses a mason jar not an erlenmeyer flask.
2. There is no use of a stir plate.
3. It uses an airlock not a piece of metal foil or foam stopper.

Thanks for the help.

i wouldn't buy that kit. looks like a jar, DME, air lock, and other odds and ends you probably have around the house. i'd just as soon use a jar or jug i already have and shake it occasionally.

I agree. Any container you can sanitize can be used. If you get into stirplates then finding something with a flat bottom is beneficial for the stir bar operation.

For two years+ I used a growler, foil and vigorous shaking every time I walked by. Worked just fine for every batch and cost me virtually nothing. If you're going to pay for anything, pay for a stirplate and a flask. I recommend StirStarters.com. $70 for a full setup with a plate and 2L flask, to your door with a lifetime warranty.

Note...I'm not knocking Nor Cal, about to place an order with them. Just saying, that kit doesn't offer anything you can't do with what you all ready have.

I would not buy that it's completely counterproductive for yeast growth, which is typically why you make a yeast starter. To grow yeast, you want to feed it (check), keep the yeast in contact with the food (no check unless you're going to swirl it frequently), and ensure a good exchange of oxygen (no check with that airlock).

My advice, buy a decent Erlenmeyer flask and stirbar. Make a stirplate out of a spare box, old cell phone charger, a spare computer fan, and some strong magnets. You'll get the best yeast cell growth with a stirplate. Just avoid that kit you're looking at.

Back