Did I overcarb my bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
I just bottled an American Brown that I brewed a little over 4 weeks ago. I estimated that I had about 5.5 gallons of beer, so I used the priming sugar calculator at tastybrew and calculated that I needed 4.6 oz of corn sugar to achieve 2.3 vols (the range for this style is 1.5-2.5). Well, I just replaced the tubing for my autosiphon and for some reason it was stalling out towards the last gallon of beer (I think it was because it was still rolling up). I got frustrated after spending over half an hour trying to salvage it and gave up because the yeast cake got disturbed and there was quite a bit in suspension. I ended up with 4.6 gallons and got 48-12 oz bottles. I used the 4.6 oz of corn sugar which ends up with like 2.7 vols. Did I overcarb? I think I'm okay, but the reason I ask is because I have had problems with overcarbing following the 1 oz to 1 gallon rule (why I started using the priming calculator) and that's about what I ended up doing here.

On a brighter note, my pipeline has been depleted because I moved and started a new job and haven't really had time to brew, but look what I found when I was grabbing my bottles. I guess my pipeline isn't depleted after all. It's an American Wheat in 22 oz bottles that I brewed in May. It should still be drinkable even though it's past it's prime. :ban:

IMG_0167.jpg

You probably didn't over carb significantly. Not nearly as bad as when I misread the scale when weighing my priming sugar and ended up using 8 oz instead of 5. Boy does that beer have a head. I need a really big glass for it. I've finally begun opening the bottle and putting it back in the refrigerator for half an hour to let it get rid of some of the CO2.

I think all will be well. Most beer bottles can hold 3 volumes without any worry.

I'm not really worried about bottle bombs, but I am worried about foaming out of the bottle when I pop the caps. I tried to leave a little more headroom when I bottled, maybe about 1/8 of an inch or less. Do you think I will have a problem with foaming out of the bottle? Last time I bottled, I used about an oz per gallon and I had a horrible problem with 3/4 of the beer foaming out of the bottle. I wasn't sure if it was just overcarbing or a gusher infection since I haven't really had that problem before.

I like my beers pretty well carbed, and I almost always use 1 ounce priming sugar per gallon. That's just about what you used, so it sounds about perfect.

I'm with Yopper, I usually carb to 3 volumes regardless of the style.

Last time I bottled, I used about an oz per gallon and I had a horrible problem with 3/4 of the beer foaming out of the bottle. I wasn't sure if it was just overcarbing or a gusher infection since I haven't really had that problem before.

There shouldn't be a problem with an ounce per gallon.

One idea is to make sure your priming sugar is evenly distributed. Another is to make sure you're chilling the beer for a day or two before opening, too. Both of these can help with excessive foam.

My last two batches have been quite foamy as well. The last pumpkin ale in particular. Spent 4 weeks in primary, then racked off to bottle. Used the same ratio of corn sugar as people above, yet when you watch my pumpkin ale closely when you pop the cap, some of the sediments that settled to the bottom of the bottle start to raise and float, upon doing so break up and then the beer just crazy foams up and I'd say loses about 1/4 of the bottle.

Revisiting my chocolate stout this weekend, so when I bottle that I plan on scaling back the corn sugar to see what affect it has.

My last two batches have been quite foamy as well. The last pumpkin ale in particular. Spent 4 weeks in primary, then racked off to bottle. Used the same ratio of corn sugar as people above, yet when you watch my pumpkin ale closely when you pop the cap, some of the sediments that settled to the bottom of the bottle start to raise and float, upon doing so break up and then the beer just crazy foams up and I'd say loses about 1/4 of the bottle.

Revisiting my chocolate stout this weekend, so when I bottle that I plan on scaling back the corn sugar to see what affect it has.

I overcarbonated a pale ale and it foams when I open one. I've learned to set the bottle in a mug so when I open it and it foams over it all ends up in the mug. 20 minutes later the foaming is done and I pull the bottle out of the mug an pour the remainder of the beer into the mug to drink.:rockin:

Back