bb holiday ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinit

Reaction score
Going to jump into my second kit 2morrow.brewers best holiday ale,the octoberfest is still fermenting,any opinions on the holiday ale, also want to look for something similar to the drifter pale ale and sam adams pale ale prolly 2 of my favorite store boughts...

I brewed the Holiday Ale kit last December and have been aging it for this December. It's a solid good beer that gets better with age. I can't say I'd slam a bunch of them, but one or two are great.

I just brewed this on Saturday.. I was going to give it until Friday and then move it into a Secondary.. per the instructions anyway.

Actually this is a good place to ask my question... the instructions say to add it to a secondary before it's finished fermenting in the primary.. (5-7 days).. I'm new to this.. I took a bottle's worth just before capping the fermenter and stored it next to it.. I'm using that to test the gravity. Should I take a reading every day and once it starts to stabilize, which should be around day 6 apparently, move it into the secondary?

Good Question!

That one is a heated debate on the forum. I personally leave mine in my primary vessel for at least 3 weeks. If I am adding fruit or dry hopping, I'll move it to secondary. If not I'll go straight to the keg and cold crash it. If I am making a pale, I'll take the beer off of the yeast cake earlier if I am not being lazy about it. You'll find opinons with strong validations for and against secondary. I find that I do not like them and based on the suggestions of the HBTers that have responded in this thread and have made the same kit, I would say let it sit.

brewed mine 9-25-11 primary 3 weeks secondary 1 week and bottled 10-23-11 I tried one this past weekend it had a pretty decent taste, but I'm not so sure it's going to be really ready to drink real soon. Going with Sudsmcgee on this one and probably save it until next Christmas.

Latest posts

Back