New to brewing and to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linux20

Reaction score
Searched through the threads and can't seem to find a definitive answer to the following:

I brewed an extact clone of Full Sail Wassail on 10/6/12 and let it sit in primary for 3 weeks, because I did not know any differently I followed directions and moved to a secondary for a little over a week now and looks like it is still fermenting.

Because I usually go all in on everything I do I built a keezer and have 4 corny kegs. I know I have to let this beer age quite a bit and my hope is that it will be ready to drink by Xmas Eve.

My questions are these:

Should I move it to one of my kegs?

If yes, should I prime with sugar and just let it sit in my basement for the next month and a half or so?

If not prime with sugar what would be process, just seal the keg with C02 and take off the gas line and sit in corner for next month and a half?

Move to keg and put it in keezer at 38*, which is were it is currently set for my first beer an Altbier.

Just leave in secondary?

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

First off welcome to HBT. The best resource on the web for all things homebrewing related. I am not much more advanced than you but I can try to help. From what I understand you can prime in the keg and let it sit in your basement. You could also let it sit in secondary for up to 6 weeks from what I have heard people report on here. I dont know what type of beer that is but unless it is a really high gravity beer your schedule seems ok to me. If you do plan to carb it with the c02 it seems to be better to do it at keezer temp. So in summary: leave it in secondary, or prime it purge it and let it sit in the cellar. unless you have space and ability to carb both then do that. Cheers from VA and good luck.

Thanks. It is pretty high gravity at 1.071 to start. When you say "prime and purge it" do you mean prime it with sugar then put some C02 on top of it and purge it? Take it off the gas and just set it aside or just prime it with sugar?

A little confused there.

Thanks again.

I have never done it but from what I have read on here you prime with sugar and hook it up to the c02 and purge just the excess 02. Sounds to me like your best bet is to let it stay in secondary, drink up the altbier and then carb it with the c02 at keezer temps. I am assuming you only have the capacity to do one at a time right now.

Take gravity readings so you know it is finished. Doing it by sight can lead to problems.

If you're in no rush leave it in secondary for at least a few more weeks. When it comes to carbing it comes down to personal preference and equipment. If you have space, I would skip the priming sugar and use the co2 to carb. There's no rush to move it out of secondary. Wait until early December, keg, set it on desired co2 and forget it. Be sure to purge (burp) out oxygen in keg at time of kegging.

Definitely have the space, thanks for all your help. This site is just awesome for info you get. Will wait until early December and just move to keg and carb.

One more question if I might, should I take a gravity reading now or it just doesn't matter as I will be leaving it in the secondary so long?

Thanks again for all the help.

I would wait, but if you're curious about how the yeast is doing or how it tastes it won't hurt to take a reading now.

Back