Help adjusting recipe for a little more roast flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Ok I have a Dark IPA/CDA/? recipe that I have been brewing and it is quite good. I wanted to try and tweak the steeping grain bill slightly to get a little more roasted malt flavor and am looking for suggestions as I don't want to over do-it.

Here is the original grain bill:

Batch Size: 5.5 Gal

12.64 oz Crystal 60L
12.64 oz Victory Malt
6.4 oz Carafa II
4.16 oz Chocolate Malt

I was thinking about bumping the Carafa II to perhaps 7 oz and Chocolate to 4.5. What do you guys think? Is this enough?

maybe start with just adding 1/4 lb roasted and see what happens.

or do an even swap with the chocolate. 4.16 oz or whatever. Carafa II and chocolate are pretty similar, so having both, not sure.

12.64 oz Crystal 60L
12.64 oz Victory Malt
6.4 oz Carafa II
4.16 oz Roasted Malt

why the non-even measurements btw?

maybe start with just adding 1/4 lb roasted and see what happens.

or do an even swap with the chocolate. 4.16 oz or whatever. Carafa II and chocolate are pretty similar, so having both, not sure.

12.64 oz Crystal 60L
12.64 oz Victory Malt
6.4 oz Carafa II
4.16 oz Roasted Malt

why the non-even measurements btw?

Thanks for your help :)

It was converted in Beersmith from a partial boil recipe to a full boil and this is what the print out I have at work says. Is this foolish? I hadn't really thought about it.

i wouldn't say foolish, i was just curious. I generally round grains to the 1/2 oz and hops to the gram. no real reason.

Back