Finally making the upgrade!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bball3414

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I haven't posted here in easily over a year and a half. I look at posts still weekly, put haven't had anything to say I guess.
Since my last posting, I decided to switch careers to get into the brewing industry and I was able to accomplish that goal! February of 2011 I found a small brewery outside of Boston, MA called Blue Hills Brewery. I interned there a couple days a week while keeping my 9-5 job. I learned a hell of a lot from the owner there. I was able to parlay all that I learned into a full time job at Harpoon Brewery in Boston this past April. :ban:
Right now I work in the cellar cleaning tanks, taking gravities and what not. My ultimate goal is to become a brewer here now. I've got a ways to work up to it though!

Now with my thread title. I finally purchased a new 10gal pot from midwest supplies and cooler mashtun fitting from bargainfittings. Hopefully all the parts are here by next weekend!
I plan on starting off with batch sparging and moving up to fly whenever I get more outdoor area (currently live in a small third floor apartment).

Im stoked right now and fedex can't get this stuff to me soon enough!!

What should I brew for my first all-grain batch? I want to do something I haven't before and something off the beaten path pretty much. I've done IPA's, stouts, dunkelweizens, summer beers and other simple things. And, I don't have the capability to lager... so any ideas are greatly appreciated! :mug:

Good for you! For the first all grain, I'd stick with something simple. A popular choice would be EdWorts Haus Pale, it's a simple grain bill, and produces good results. However, if you want to do something semi-crazy, why not make a holiday Porter/Stout or event a Pumpkin Ale? Good luck with the new career!

My first AG was a Maris Otter/Northern Brewer SMASH APA. Simple to brew, hard to mess up, and unlike any commercial brew:

5.0 gallon batch

10 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
0.5 oz Norther Brewer @ 15 min
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 min
Safale S-05 yeast

Ferment @ 60F for 2-3 weeks
Bottle (5 oz priming sugar)/Keg (2.5 atmospheres) carb and condition for 2-3 weeks

About as easy as it gets, and a great brew with a slightly sweet malt character and clean citrusy hop character!

Thanks guys! It's funny with those two mentions... the pumpkin ale and vanilla bourbon porter... I've never done a pumpkin ale and zymurgy has an article on bourbon oaked beer this month. I'm thinking a trip to the local home brew store and liquor store might be in order.... parts should be here by the 18th!

TopherM said:
My first AG was a Maris Otter/Northern Brewer SMASH APA. Simple to brew, hard to mess up, and unlike any commercial brew:

5.0 gallon batch

10 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
0.5 oz Norther Brewer @ 15 min
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 min
Safale S-05 yeast

Ferment @ 60F for 2-3 weeks
Bottle (5 oz priming sugar)/Keg (2.5 atmospheres) carb and condition for 2-3 weeks

About as easy as it gets, and a great brew with a slightly sweet malt character and clean citrusy hop character!

What's the definition of a s smash ale again?

Makes sense now haha. The brewery I interned at does those as a specialty offer for a few months at a time

Back