Baby Brenly's Breakfast Porter (PM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubslover

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Parial Mash
Yeast: Safale US-04 Dry Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 35
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 40 SRM (see notes)

Ingredients:
6lbs Amber LME
2lbs 2-Row Pale
1lb 4oz Quick Oats (pre cooked, thin)
1lb Crystal 50-60
12oz Chocolate Malt
2-3oz Black Patent (last 10min of mash)
4oz Honey Malt
2oz Biscuit Malt
12oz French Pressed French Roast coffee
US-04 Dry yeast

Mash Profile: 154* for 60 Min
Mash Weight: 5.83 lb
Grain Temperature: 70.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 165.0 F
Sparge Water: 3 gal

Sparge and move to kettle.

Boil: 4 Gallon
.25oz Fuggles (4% AA) - First Wort
.25oz Willamette (4.8% AA) - First Wort
1oz Northern Brewer (8% AA) - 60min
.5oz Fuggles - 35min
.5oz Willamette - 35min
.25 Fuggles - 20min
.25 Willamette - 20min
1Tbsp Irish Moss - 15min
12oz French Pressed Coffee - 10min

Cool to 65-70* move to fermenter, add yeast nutrient, aerate.

Pitch Rehydrated US-04.

Primary:10 days
Secondary:3 weeks

Prime with brown sugar if desired.

Notes: I calculated the color at 40SRM, but once in fermenter, it was a chocolate brown and VERY aromatic. It smells absolutely delicious. I split the fuggles and willamette, because I love them both. Strong fermentation evident within 5-6hrs.

Additions to recipe:

I just fermented in the primary for 3.5 weeks, cold crashed for 2 days outside ~ 35-38*. Primed with 5oz corn sugar.

Popped the first bottle after just 5 days. I couldn't wait. :)

Oh my this is tasty. A good bit of caramel and chocolate and a heavy hit of Coffee.

It's a bit thin on the palate, but it also was not carbonated at all yet. Drank the entire flat beer.

I will taste again in a week. If the mouthfeel thickens up a bit, I'll be entering it in the fair.

Turns out my priming sugar didn't mix very well when bottling.

1/2 my bottles are flat and the other 1/2 are WAY overcarbed and come shooting out when opened. I'm really surprised that I haven't had a grenade go off. The Flat bottles taste great, although a bit light on the tongue. The overcarbed bottles taste like worshire sauce...yuk.

I'm confident in the recipe and will try again.

Would you say use less of the priming sugar or just a better mix? My last batch of heavy beer ended up the same, worcestershire sauce throughout every bottle, the over carbonation might explain it.

I would be confident saying the amount of sugar is correct, it just did not mix properly when racking into my bottling bucket.

The 12oz bottles are way too over carbed, and the 22oz bottles are just right. If I remember correctly, I bottled a dozen or so 12oz bottles, then the 12 - 22s and moved back to 12s.

Back