DIE Yeasty Scum, DIE! or bottle paranoia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Ack! :mad:

That Damn yeast is still haunting me!
never,never,never will I use easYeast agan!

The bad beer it made was one thing, I will get over it once it has been drank, but now...

Every freakin' bottle that had some of the bad beer is COATED with yeasty scum. All over, not just the bottom, it clings to the sides as well, all over!

I rinse them immediately. Still there. I scrub them with a brush right after that. Still there. I soak them in STRONG bleach solution over night and then I scrub them and soak them again. Mostly gone. I boil them for a few minutes and scrub again. Then I drain and sanitize with Iodopher. I think is gone, but not completely sure. My apa I just bottled has another 2 weeks but I am seeing some residue forming on the sides of the bottle!!!! And it WAS a damn good batch. :mad:

I realize I am probably freaking out prematurely and it is probably nothing but man!

I am half tempted to throw away all my bottles, which I cannot afford to do.

Any simpler ways to clean this scum and be assured they are clear? I am probably just paraoid, yes. And DO NOT tell me to get a kegging set-up. Unless you are willing to give it to me free of charge. :D

I was thinking about that. I asked this before but I am asking again...

Oxyclean is just the powdered color safe bleach stuff you get at the grocery store tight? Peroxide based yes?

How well do you need to rinse, I mean how much residue does it leave and how do you rinse it to be sure it is gone?

Thanks.

It doesn't work like bleach. I can imagine it's a oxygen bleach, but the effectiveness for removing caked on crap, labels, general dirt is much better than chlorine bleach.

I rinse my bottles in hot water several times until there is no odor.

Back