Keg Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levandr

Reaction score
So I have kegged for the first time. I added 1/3 cup sugar, purged with CO2, and set the keg aside to carb up naturally. This was Friday (27 July).

It seems I've got a problem now. The liquid side outlet can't hold the pressure and is leaking a little (and by little, I mean very little but enough that there is a sticky beer layer on top of the valve). As the pressure inside builds, I assume it will leak more and more.

What are my options?
A. Quietly move the contents into another keg, close up, purge, let sit until ready.
B. Force carb it, attach the ball valve and drink it sooner. But I've added sugar so if there is sugar left in solution (there will be since I will put the keg in the fridge thus stopping the yeast from doing their thing)...so how will this affect the taste?
C. Something else???

Thanks.

I'd leave the beer in the keg, relieve the pressure, remove the "beer out" post and clean/lube the poppet (or replace it if you have another).

Replace the post, hit it with 20 PSI to make sure it's sealed, then relieve the excess pressure and let the natural carbing continue.

As long as you have everything ready up front, the post should only be out for 5 min or so, and the beer will be fine. You can put a stopper in the post hole if you're worried.

Replaced the poppet with one from another keg. Pressure tested. No leaks. Carbing naturally.

Total time: 1 minute.

Brewed a Porter last night. Changed the poppet while I was waiting for my Porter to (slowly) cool. Chiller is my next purchase/project.

Thanks for the advice.

Back