How much wood should I need in my brinkman smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
This isn't the exact smoker we have, but it's very similar http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053.

I've only tried to smoke a brisket and a chicken twice, and both times I had serious problems with not only overwhelming smoke flavor, but also with temperature control. I believe that both of which can be fixed by not using so much wood and playing with air intake, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this.

So here is my question. How much hardwood do you guys typically use? Do you soak the wood first? How long do you let the hardwood burn before adding the meat to the pit?

Also this weekend I'll be attempting to smoke a couple of pork shoulders, so if you have any advice pertaining to that, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacob

HalfPint,

I personally use LUMP charcoal in my Oklahoma Joe's smoker that has almost the same size of wood box that ur smoker has. I use a charocal starter (no lighter fluid!) to get the lump charcoal nice & hot before dumping it in the fire box. After the temp becomes stable @ 225F, I add a few chunks of the smoking hardwood to get a good smoke going (dampers all the way open). Then I add my meat and depending on the style/type/cut I usually only let the hardwood smoke be exposed to the meat for a couple of hours. I learned through trial & error while smoking several batches of ribs that over exposure to smoke will make the meat taste similar to standing downwind of a roaring campfire . I don't soak the hardwood in water because I have found that while it makes a thicker smoke in the beginning, the diffused water quickly evaporates out when using lump charcoal and I have a pretty good supply on hand thanks to last year's ice storm. If you still prefer using all hardwood for the entire fire/smoke, try wrapping the meat in foil after a few hours of smoke exposure. Also, I have found that using lump charcoal makes maintaining temp easier & more consistent.

Here is a link to the lump charcoal I use: http://www.lowes.com/pd_44516-37442-23288_0_?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1087083&Ntt=lump+charcoal&N=0&langId=-1&Ns=p_product_price%7C0&storeId=10151&Ntk=i_products&ddkey=http:CategoryDisplay##

I know it says it unavailable, but they usually have it for around $3 ~ $5 bucks in my area. One bag will usually last me for a 6 to 8 hour smoke depending on temp & weather. Hope this helps & good luck! Nothing sounds better than some smoked meat & cold homebrew! :mug:

One more thing, here is a link pertaining to pork shoulders: http://www.smoking-meat.com/pork-shoulder-recipe.html

HalfPint,

I personally use LUMP charcoal in my Oklahoma Joe's smoker that has almost the same size of wood box that ur smoker has. I use a charocal starter (no lighter fluid!) to get the lump charcoal nice & hot before dumping it in the fire box. After the temp becomes stable @ 225F, I add a few chunks of the smoking hardwood to get a good smoke going (dampers all the way open). Then I add my meat and depending on the style/type/cut I usually only let the hardwood smoke be exposed to the meat for a couple of hours. I learned through trial & error while smoking several batches of ribs that over exposure to smoke will make the meat taste similar to standing downwind of a roaring campfire . I don't soak the hardwood in water because I have found that while it makes a thicker smoke in the beginning, the diffused water quickly evaporates out when using lump charcoal and I have a pretty good supply on hand thanks to last year's ice storm. If you still prefer using all hardwood for the entire fire/smoke, try wrapping the meat in foil after a few hours of smoke exposure. Also, I have found that using lump charcoal makes maintaining temp easier & more consistent.

Here is a link to the lump charcoal I use: http://www.lowes.com/pd_44516-37442-23288_0_?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1087083&Ntt=lump+charcoal&N=0&langId=-1&Ns=p_product_price%7C0&storeId=10151&Ntk=i_products&ddkey=http:CategoryDisplay##

I know it says it unavailable, but they usually have it for around $3 ~ $5 bucks in my area. One bag will usually last me for a 6 to 8 hour smoke depending on temp & weather. Hope this helps & good luck! Nothing sounds better than some smoked meat & cold homebrew! :mug:

One more thing, here is a link pertaining to pork shoulders: http://www.smoking-meat.com/pork-shoulder-recipe.html

Thanks a lot man.

Yeah, I'm a grilling pro, but smoking is new to me. I ALWAYS use lump charcoal when grilling, so I actually have a couple of bags sitting in the garage.

So do you leave the dampers all the way open for the entire cooking process? So what do you do after you smoke for a couple of hours? Have you ever smoked something for say 12 hours? If so, how did your process differ from above?

Thanks,
Jacob

I am no pro at smoking but recently made one myself. Yours is an offeset smoker. Lots of info on offset smokers and their use and tweakage.

You adjust the air in dampers to choke the fire box just enough to maintain a temp.

A couple suggestions first. Without looking at that smoker in detail I can bet that it probably needs a few modifications to make it easier on you. They usually need the exhaust extended down, a baffle of sort sort installed, and many times a different fire basket put into the fire box. Just google and you will probably find tons of things for that cooker.

Also as far as the amount of smoke, I would reccomend that you start with using charcoal as your fuel and adding 2 or 3 fist sized chunks of unsoaked wood.

you keep the exhaust wide open and control heat by adjusting the offset box air vent. here is the information I used to mod my own smoke-n-pit.
I use a combo of hardwood and lump coal in my smoker, it took a good bit of messing around before I had good success, much like learning the quirks in your brew setup. I use foil to keep the smoke level where I want it by wrapping the food until it is cooked to perfection.

So do you leave the dampers all the way open for the entire cooking process? So what do you do after you smoke for a couple of hours?

When smoking for a "short" duration (4 to 5 hours), I leave my dampers all the way open because my smoker will maintain heat that long on a medium sized fire. I leave my damper all the way open when hardwood is on the fire, closing the damper traps smoke and can cause the "intense" smoke flavor. I like the smoke to flow around the meat and out the damper instead of being trapped/slowed in the smoker. If the hardwood is gone, I close the damper a bit to maintain heat on longer smokes. After I smoke for a few hours (again, depending on cut/style/type), I don't use any more hardwood, I move the meat away from the "hot spot" in the smoker, sometime wrap in foil or a wet towel, & then go with the "low & slow" method until the meat reaches preferred internal temp.

Have you ever smoked something for say 12 hours? If so, how did your process differ from above?

Yes, I've done a few big briskets. Bigger cuts can take a longer duration of hardwood smoke so I extend the time and amount of hardwood I use. So, for 12 hours I would throw hardwood & smoke @ it for around 4 hours, then low & slow for the remaining duration.

Please remember this is only MY...er + SWMBO...personal tastes (and I haven't won any competitions!), many guys use hardwood for the entire smoking duration,and a whole different process. I just like the temperature stability of the lump charcoal and decreased fire attention needed. To me, using all hardwood in my smoker due to the size of the woodbox is more of a job than enjoyment.:mug:

Well thanks for all of the suggestions guys. For now, I think I'm going to just use it as is, but mods could come in the future. To be honest with you, I never even thought about just using hardwood to heat the smoker. For some reason, I thought you just used charcoal to start the hardwood and then from there on out, it was the hardwood only. II think that since the lump is something that I'm more familiar to, this will work out much better.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Jacob

Well, I rubbed my pork but and threw it in the smoker about an hour ago. I'm doing better than I ever have. I had a pecan limb about 5" diameter, so I cut about 5 fist sized pieces off and threw a couple of them in the smoker box with some lump charcoal I got burning really hot. It's sitting at a steady 225. I've got the smoker side damper half way opened and the other damper is all the way open. It's a 12 lb shoulder, so I think I'm going to do six hours on the smoker and maybe let it go in the oven for another 6-10 hours.

Thanks for all the advice,
Jacob

HalfPint,
I use a charocal starter (no lighter fluid!) to get the lump charcoal nice & hot before dumping it in the fire box.

Tell me more about your charcoal starter. I have only smoked one pork shoulder. But I had to use lighter fluid to get it started and I HATE lighter fluid. I was also using charcoal. I will use the lump stuff next.

Tell me more about your charcoal starter. I have only smoked one pork shoulder. But I had to use lighter fluid to get it started and I HATE lighter fluid. I was also using charcoal. I will use the lump stuff next.

I've been using one of these chimneys forever. A little paper wadded up underneath and you have ready to use charcoal in 10 minutes or so...

500-511-bayou-ceramic-grill-charcoal-starter.jpg

This is what you need. You drizzle some veg oil on some newspaper or paper towel and stick it in the bottom. Then fill the top with charcoal and light the paper on the bottom. In about 15-20 minutes all the coals will be ashed over then you just dump them where you want them.

I also like to use a big propane torch from harbor freight for starting charcoal too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I purchased it @ Lowe's:

Link: http://www.lowes.com/pd_197879-505-.../pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=charcoal starter

Works like a champ & NO lighter fluid required! All you do is fill it up and shove a couple of newspaper pages under it, light the newspaper & your done. Hot coals in no time.:mug:

This is what you need. You drizzle some veg oil on some newspaper or paper towel and stick it in the bottom. Then fill the top with charcoal and light the paper on the bottom. In about 15-20 minutes all the coals will be ashed over then you just dump them where you want them.

I also like to use a big propane torch from harbor freight for starting charcoal too.

+1 although I have never used the veg oil and have had no issues BUT my chimney is shelved for use only if I need to add more coal to the grill. Propane weed burners are KING for starting fires be they in smoker or kettles.

The oil isn't nessicary but it makes it burn a little longer and less ash.

Aha. Makes sense. never had issues with it burning long enough to start the coals but the ash is a different story. thanks for that. I will try it next time I need to add to the kettle.

Yeah, I've had one of those Weber chimneys for a while now. I love those bad boys. You never have to stack a pyramid of coals!

Here's an update on that butt I thre on the pit earlier. I smoked it for 6 hrs and was mostly able to keep in the 200's. I took it off around 5 or so and threw it in the oven at 225*. I'm thinking that I'll just leave it there until tomorrow morning.

Do you guys think letting it cook for like a total of 20 hours is too long?

Thanks,
Jacob

How big is the butt? That is probably way to long. It is done when you stick a thermometer or a skewer in it and it goes in like butter. Sometimes it can take that long but not very often. If you over cook it can can get really mushy.

How big is the butt? That is probably way to long. It is done when you stick a thermometer or a skewer in it and it goes in like butter. Sometimes it can take that long but not very often. If you over cook it can can get really mushy.

Yeah, I was just doing some research and people say when it hits 190, it's ready to rest and then be pulled.

It's a 12lb roast.

I'm going to go check it right now. I'll be back in a few minutes.

Alright, I just went and looked at it...it's freaking done! That fat is melting off and it's falling apart. The internal temp was 193.

Too bad we just had brats for dinner b/c my newb self didn't think it would be done in time.

I've heard of pulling the pork butts off the grill anywhere from 190 to 205 degrees internal. Then toss it in a small cooler for at least an hour and upwards of 4-6 but they may get cold and\or dry out.

You could also let it rest in the cooler for an hour or two then go a head and pull it. Package and immediately put the meat in the fridge or freezer and re-heat when ready. You'd be surprised how fresh it tastes the next day or next month later when reheated properly. Just put the package in some warm water on the stove and heat until it's warm enough to eat.

Also, here are a couple links I used to do my first brisket.

http://www.barbecuen.com/champ-brisket.htm

http://www.barbecuen.com/brisket.htm

Brisket doesnt need much smoke and the charcoal puts out quite a bit so be careful adding too much extra smoke to it...

Yeah, since it's too late to eat, I've got to do something with it tonight. It's ok to pull it and eat it say for breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, and midnight snack tomorrow?

Of course. If you have a foodsaver, seal individual servings in bags with a little sauce or a tiny bit of apple juice and freeze them. Them when you want to eat some DON"T open the bag and put it in boiling water for a few minutes until hot. Just as good as fresh.

Of course. If you have a foodsaver, seal individual servings in bags with a little sauce or a tiny bit of apple juice and freeze them. Them when you want to eat some DON"T open the bag and put it in boiling water for a few minutes until hot. Just as good as fresh.

Well my lazy ass didn't exactly do that, but I did line a plastic container with plastic wrap, put pork on top of wrap, added more plastic wrap on top of the pork, and stored it away in the fridge. I made some of Ed's vinegar sauce and HOLY HELL, for my first pork butt experience, this is amazing. I'm just wondering how well this stuff could be in the hands of professionals. Being from Texas, brisket is BBQ around here, but as someone who loves pork, this is the shiznit.

Thanks and sweet porky dreams,
Jacob

I've heard of pulling the pork butts off the grill anywhere from 190 to 205 degrees internal. Then toss it in a small cooler for at least an hour and upwards of 4-6 but they may get cold and\or dry out.

You could also let it rest in the cooler for an hour or two then go a head and pull it. Package and immediately put the meat in the fridge or freezer and re-heat when ready. You'd be surprised how fresh it tastes the next day or next month later when reheated properly. Just put the package in some warm water on the stove and heat until it's warm enough to eat.

Also, here are a couple links I used to do my first brisket.

http://www.barbecuen.com/champ-brisket.htm

http://www.barbecuen.com/brisket.htm

Brisket doesnt need much smoke and the charcoal puts out quite a bit so be careful adding too much extra smoke to it...

I am a competitive BBQ'er. My team name is "Two Fat Polocks". The best thing you can do for your pork butt or shoulder is pull it at 190* wrap it in foil, wrap some towels around it and put it in a cooler for an hour or two. When you first pull the butt it will continue to keep cooking itself while in the foil and reabsorb the juices. The butt will pull and the meat around the money muscle will be firm enough to slice if you wish. The key to tasty pork butt or shoulder is the injection. You can make a good bark by useing a good rub but to flavor the butt throughout a good injection will do the trick.

Sounds like it turned out awesome halfpint! Sorry I couldn't get back to the boards last night as we had a few twisters bouncing around town here in OK. Nice work & post a few pics if you get a chance & don't mind.:mug:

Sounds like it turned out awesome halfpint! Sorry I couldn't get back to the boards last night as we had a few twisters bouncing around town here in OK. Nice work & post a few pics if you get a chance & don't mind.:mug:

It's no problem man. It's too late to post pics considering half of the butt has been pulled and froze, but I have a feeling there are plenty more of these to come! Perhaps next time I'll post a picture tutorial on how I do it.

I wish I would've bought more butts b/c the local grocery store had a meat sale and was practically giving them away at 90 cents a pound. As you can imagine, here in Texas pork butts don't exactly fly off the shelves.

We have some family in Sulphur, Ok. I heard on the news today that there has been something like 30 twisters or something this season. Hope everything is alright.

Jacob

I am a competitive BBQ'er. My team name is "Two Fat Polocks". The best thing you can do for your pork butt or shoulder is pull it at 190* wrap it in foil, wrap some towels around it and put it in a cooler for an hour or two. When you first pull the butt it will continue to keep cooking itself while in the foil and reabsorb the juices. The butt will pull and the meat around the money muscle will be firm enough to slice if you wish. The key to tasty pork butt or shoulder is the injection. You can make a good bark by useing a good rub but to flavor the butt throughout a good injection will do the trick.

Now...when you say you "pull it at 190* wrap it in foil" you mean pull it off the smoker and not pull the meat, correct? You mean take it off the smoker and wrap it for a hour or a few then take it out and PULL the meat...

I want to make sure that's what you mean but am a bit confused with the way you worded things.

The one time I've done one (and it was great) was I took it off at 190-195 and but in a cooler for 2 hours before I pulled the meat. Ever since I've been itching to do another. I need to throw another party...this time I think I'm going to cheat a little and do the last half in the oven so I can get some sleep thought. Any thoughts on cheating like that...?

Now...when you say you "pull it at 190* wrap it in foil" you mean pull it off the smoker and not pull the meat, correct? You mean take it off the smoker and wrap it for a hour or a few then take it out and PULL the meat...

I want to make sure that's what you mean but am a bit confused with the way you worded things.

The one time I've done one (and it was great) was I took it off at 190-195 and but in a cooler for 2 hours before I pulled the meat. Ever since I've been itching to do another. I need to throw another party...this time I think I'm going to cheat a little and do the last half in the oven so I can get some sleep thought. Any thoughts on cheating like that...?

I think that's what he means about pulling it off the smoker. I ended up smoking mine for around 5-6 hrs and roasting in the oven for the last few. I've eaten tons of bbq and I must say, this is as good as any. I've done a lot of reading and what I've seen is that most believe that the most smoke flavor is taken in with the first few hours of cooking, so if you want to be lazy about it, the oven is fine for the last couple of hours.

Yes, that is what he meant. You should also let it sit for about 30-45 minutes even after you take it out of the cooler before you pull it.

I need to throw another party...this time I think I'm going to cheat a little and do the last half in the oven so I can get some sleep thought. Any thoughts on cheating like that...?

It would work but you could also just wrap it in foil once it hits about 160-165 and keep it on the smoker. That would speed up things some too.

Yeah, I've been reading the meat stops absorbing smoke after a while that's why I wanted to do the smoker\oven method. The reason I want to take it off the smoker is that I have a cheap, non- modified (yet) offset and you really need to watch it meaning a 12 or so hour smoke it very tedious. That's why I want to bring it into the house and a consistent over for the last half.

You should also let it sit for about 30-45 minutes even after you take it out of the cooler before you pull it.

That's a good tip...may I ask why?

It would work but you could also just wrap it in foil once it hits about 160-165 and keep it on the smoker. That would speed up things some too.

How would foiling and keeping it in the smoker speed things up even if I put it in the over at the same temp? I'm not exactly looking to speed things up, I just need some non-monitoring consistency for a while during the long smokes...

That's a good tip...may I ask why?

It lets the juices redistribute back into the meat. Since the cooler is going to keep it at a higher temperature this usually won't happen in there unless you keep in in there for a very long time.

How would foiling and keeping it in the smoker speed things up even if I put it in the over at the same temp? I'm not exactly looking to speed things up, I just need some non-monitoring consistency for a while during the long smokes...

I was saying if you wanted to keep it on the smoker and speed it up.

Back