Extended fermentation time using San Diego Super

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
I have used the White Labs WLP090 twice before and had the expected fast and relatively quick fermentation with the last visible air lock activity ending the third, or early on the fourth day. I pitched a starter into a 1.054 wort on the 12th and six days later I am still seeing frequent air lock bubbles. I'm waiting to dry hop until the activity ends. The only difference in the times I have used the yeast and now is that it is summer (nearly) and I have maintained a 62-64F fermentation temp in the swamp cooler. Not a problem, I just wondered if anyone else had seen this yeast take longer to finish if temps were maintained in the low to mid sixties? Recommended temps are 65-68F, btw.

what your seeing may be co2 that is in the beer, escaping. Not really a sign of active fermentation. If you want to see if it's fermenting you need to check the gravity.

what your seeing may be co2 that is in the beer, escaping. Not really a sign of active fermentation. If you want to see if it's fermenting you need to check the gravity.

10-4, I considered that and as I will leave it on the yeast for another two weeks, it is an issue only in that I want it to be post fermentation before I dry hop. I'll just wait it out and toss in some Citra the end of this week. Just kinda wondered if anyone else had observed similar activity.

In my experience, WLP090 ferments fast even in the low 60's, but it's such a clean hops-forward yeast that if you're not using it to turn your beers around fast, then you should save the money and effort and just use US-05.

Latest posts

Back