Inexplicably Cloudy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA a three weeks ago and the beer is extremely cloudy and milky in appearance. I can hold the sample up to light and not be able to see through it. I stuck it in my keezer for a week while it was in the primary in hopes that it would clear up some, nope. I used a lot of hops in the boil (but I always do in my IPAs), Golden Promise, Aromatic, 1#wheat as grains and 1056 as the yeast. It tastes ok, for a flat, three-week-old, undryhopped, uncarbonated beer. I've brewed 50+ batches and never seen this before, so I'm very put off by it. What is it? Possible infection?

Hard to say without going through the whole process. I *just* had an Ordinary Bitter do this to me. Stayed horribly cloudy for weeks, about 7 or 8. I tried Geletin with a cold crash, but no luck.

Just last week, it magically cleared up and now it's just beautiful. Don't count it out yet.

I have a smoked porter on tap that looks like chocolate milk for some reason. Still haven't figured it out, but I don't care that much. Still tastes fine.

The pound of wheat and the hops in an IPA will make it cloudy for quite sometime. Did you get the beer chilled quickly after the boil and get a good cold break? You may have settled out your hops/yeast in the keezer but obtained chill haze in the process. Do a search for gelatin. Keg the cold beer and add the gelatin mixture. Purge the keg and shake the crap outta it. Place in your keezer on gas and wait two weeks. The first pull will be gunky and probably have chunks. But the beer should clear up.

I had a problem like this with a rye I made. I'm still fairly new though. I messed my temps up bad on the mash and had 160ish temps for the first 30 minutes of mash and then because i was buzzed and tired at 2am messed up my boil off and added tap water to fill up the extra half gallon extra I was missing. Don't know if it was chllorimides or protein that kept it cloudy and yeasty. Needed the keg space after a couple months and dumped it.

Back