Perfect All-grain Spring Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two2many

Reaction score
I'm looking for a great spring time all grain recipe that can be fermented at room temp. This is gonna be my second all grain batch so I want something really straight forward. Thanks!

What do you like to drink/brew? That's the most important question as my idea of the perfect spring ag brew might be a double IPA and you may hate IPAs.

In general I'd say an APA is a great brew for spring or any time of year. Of course in Lakeland your spring comes a bit earlier than most and your winter is milder than most. I'm in MS, not too dissimilar, but not the same. I think an Irish Red Ale or a SMaSH would be fine.

For the Pale Ale go with ROUGHLY as I'm not running these #s:
8# 2-row
8 oz crystal 40 or 60
6 oz victory malt (optional but I like it in my IPA/APAs)
4 oz oatmeal or flaked oats

Hops:
Hop burst with C hops Cascade etc to about 35-40 IBUs by adding hops between the 25 and 10 minute mark, think 3 additions.
Dry hop with 1.5 oz of your favorite hop for 6 days.

Yeast:
US-05 or Nottingham fermented 63-66 degrees

Voila success!

Of course you could alway look in the recipe section to find something you like, there are TONS of recipes!

Thanks! Im looking for some direction with my limitations to ale yeast. And yeah, it was a fridged 78 today so the seasons are not as well defined. I love ipa's but I have an apa in the primary. I was thinking something lite and crisp but im not sure.

I was thinking something lite and crisp but im not sure.

Light and crisp means Cream Ale for me. Here's my latest recipe for one http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Cream_Ale.html The Saphir hops are just what I had on hand, any mild/noble hop would work - I've used Hallertauer before and enjoyed it.

As for your fermentation temps, you could try putting your fermenter in a large container with water and frozen bottles to keep the temp down a little.

Back