My first attempt at Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emccarthy25

Reaction score
On the 25th of June I brewed Ed Worts House Pale Ale, which I had to make some adjustments to his recipe in order to account for my equipment. Here's the recipe I used:

Please note that I had to settle on a partial grain, mini-mash setup as my boil kettle is only 5 gallons, and I cant get much more than 3.5 or 4 gallons to a boil on my stove top.

4 lbs. 2 row
2 lbs. vienna malt
.5 lb. crystal 10

Mash in 8.5 qts water at 166 degrees, hold at 154 for 60 minutes
Sparge with 6 qts water at appx. 175 degrees

top off boil vessl to 3.5 gallons water.

1 oz cascade at 60 min
.5 oz cascade at 30 min
.25 oz cascade at 15 min
3.3 lb Pilsel LME at 15 min
.25 oz cascade at 5 min

water bath to bring temp down to 90 degrees, and add to fermenting vessel
top off to 5.5 gallons which put temp to 84 degrees.

11g package of nottingham yeast

temp adjusted OG of 1.047

My beer fermented for 12 days between 64 and 71 degrees F.

temp adjusted FG of 1.010

ABV 4.86%

During the mash, I put my boil kettle into a preheated oven on the lowest setting, and noticed about 25 minutes in that I had to remove it as the temp crept up to 174 degrees. Also my hop bag fell in to the wort after the first addition and I got hop goo everywhere around the rim of my pot :( Also it took around a half hour to bring my post boil temps down to reasonable levels.

Today when I bottled, the temp of the beer was measured at 76 degrees F. I used approx 4.5 oz of table sugar dissolved and added to bottling bucket for carbing.

There was a strange lactic sour smell I was getting from the beer throughout the bottling process, which I thought was strange as all my fermenting equipment was brand new and never used, so was clean, and sanitized thoroughly with star san. Also, I noticed a strange oily sheen on top of the beer before(and after) I racked into my bottling bucket.

Any suggestions as to what the oily sheen might have been, and if you have brewed this beer, what did it smell like before bottling(or kegging)? As for flavor, I felt that flat it tasted similar to macro brewery lagers I've consumed in the past, but with a very slight sour note(presumably related to the sour smell I noticed). I have faith that carbonated, the flavor will have brightened considerably, and will probably be a fair summertime beer.

thoughts and/or suggestions?

Cheers!

ok, thanks. This was the first time using that sanitizer. :) Now, the sour smell I got from my beer...I realize it's impossible for you guys to diagnose over the internet, but does this beer normally have that smell, or is this another symptom of using the star-san?

Back