DIY Noob - Johnson A419 Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
I ordered a Johnson A419 from http://www.pexsupply.com/

I bought this without knowing it would not arrive pre-wired.

I saw some threads that state it is not hard to wire this controller...but can't find a thorough thread and/or "how-to."

Can you guys help a brother out? Or should I seek out a pro?

It really isn't hard. The controller should come with a wiring diagram but all you really need to do is buy a 3-prong extension cable and cut it in half, then wire up the "male" half going to power, and the "female" half going to the fridge (or whatever you are controlling). Also you have to connect the probe but it's only two wires and it doesn't matter which wire is connected to which pole.

The only thing is to be careful which controller you have. MAKE SURE your controller says it's for 110/120v AC and not 220 or something else. Should say on the board where you make connections and set the jumpers.

EDIT: Here's the document that SHOULD come with it but you never know. Please note the diagram on page 3.

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/2476642543.pdf

Maybe a silly question. But can I just use a regular 3 prong cord? or will I need somethign bigger like dryer cord?

A regular 3 prong cord is fine. I used the end of a computer cord. Being in IT I have TONS of them. Then used another cord for the female portion and bought a female cord end to plug the fridge into.

And have fun securing the sensor wires. I have no flippin answer to why a strain relief is not included with the controller...

FYI - Mine will do heating OR cooling, but you have to open the cover to access it jumper. I plan on adding a small switch to the cover and wire it to the header so I can flip it easier. Living in Michigan means I half a 50-50 chance of needing one or the other!

For my johnson controller, i just tied a knot in the cords so they couldnt get pulled through the box.

Hey
Didnt want to start a new thread so i figured i'd piggyback on this one.......I want to replace the temp probe with a longer one...Am i safe to get in there as long as its unplugged? I know pretty much nothing about electronics and would rather not get electrocuted.....haha.

As long as everything is unplugged, you're fine ... I think most of the heavy duty electrical is covered by a cardboard flap anyhow ... The temp probe has two wires upper left ...

Back