Coditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
Another question. I live in the Desert unfortunatly. And it is Hot right now. I made my first batch in the late winter early spring so I could condition the bottles in the Garage. Now however it is 100 degrees in the Garage. So I am conditioning them in my house but that at times especially when noone is home gets above 80 degrees. Now they have been in the bottles in boxxes for almost 2 weeks. So now the question should I now put them in the fridge. or wait. I sure hope the heat doesn't ruin them. Appreciate the advice.

mike

Hello MSamu, I live in arizona and its 105 deg already, still not running the AC yet, I have 3 batches bottle conditioning right now, what I am doing is put bottles in a few BIG ice chest and fill them with cold water up to the neck on the bottles, then every 4 to 6 hrs I set in the middle of the bottles a frozen 32 oz bottle of water, this is working out pretty good for controlling the bottle conditioning temps, Im also going with 3 weeks conditioning then put 1 bottle in the fridge for 4 days, then taste. if its carb'd up, then they all go in, if not they all sit for another week.

Good advice from someone on this forum to me was, let the beer tell you when its ready.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers :tank:
WiliECoyote

I live in central calif.and it gets pretty hot here as well. I to carb/condition in a water bath to keep temp down and it works well. Keeping it between 68 and 72 deg works for me.

I'm in AZ too and my AC is set at 80. I carb/condition in an interior closet that is about 75 ambient and on mid gravity beers I pop one in the fridge after 2 weeks in bottles for a day or two then drink to check carbonation and taste. If it's good, they all go in the fridge, if not they condition longer. Just so long as your main fermentation temps are controlled, the bottle conditioning temp isn't as important as long as you can stay under 80. At least that has been my experience.

I'll try that on what I am going to bottle today. t sure would make it a lot easier. Thanks.

Hi OClairBrew fellow Arizonian, thanks for the tip, what part of Az are you in? Im in the N W corner near Laughlin Nevada, My bottle tempe have been ranging from 67 to 73 most of the times, once in a while they will hit 78 if Im gone all day.

Thanks
WiliECoyote

I am about an hour and half SE of Phoenix. My bottles may get over 75 too, but I haven't noticed any issues from that. I just moved my California Common to the fridge after 2 weeks in the fermentor and 2 weeks in bottles. I drank one last night and it was absolutely incredible. :mug:

Back