turkey fryer / propane question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
When I brew using my turkey fryer, I get a nasty layer of black 'soot' on the outside of my pot. However, using the same pot on a friends fryer, there's no soot!

Anybody have an idea why? My guess would be the fryer stand itself. Is it causing the propane to not burn cleanly? Just a guess...

My guess would be that your burner is not fully combusting the gas, thus causing the soot. Can you adust the burner to make sure your flame is running blue with no or very little orange? SOunds like it needs more O2.

Also, we used to have this problem with white gas camp stoves that weren't burning correctly. I used to coat the bottom of the pot in liquid Dawn dish soap prior to cooking. The soot would come right off with a little water. However, I'm not sure if this would work for propane. I suspect it would but don't won't cause you any problems.

'Twas rust... I disassembled the burner and ran air through it. All sorts of nastiness came through.

Anyway, it's good to go! Thanks..

I found this very help... thanks for posting it and taking time to post back what solved it for you. Best regards.

Back