Noble trappist extract kit color way off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
I just did a gravity check on my noble trappist I got from Midwest. Og was 1.056, right around 1.017 now. Tastes good, smells good, but the color seems way off. It's been in the primary for about 12 days now, ferm temps kept steady in mid to upper 60's, 66 now.

It's a lot lighter then I had expected and what the recipe calls for. On the pic attached, it shows the color. But mine is about 3 shades lighter, coming in under the word ready in the pic. Just wondering why.

Wasn't this light when I put it in the primary. I don't think fermentation is done though. Still lots of small bubbles on the top when I opened her up...

image-3734118146.jpg

I'm wondering, since this was the first time I only boiled 1/3 of the lme in the 60 minute boil, if Midwest assumes that you boil all the lme for 60, which would help in darkening the beer. I added the other 2/3 at flame out. They tell you to boil everything for 60...

Oh well, it tastes good warm and uncarbed, so go high hopes. Still not clearing, so ill let it sit for a few more days...

maybe it appears lighter than when you put it in because things are settling

I'm wondering, since this was the first time I only boiled 1/3 of the lme in the 60 minute boil, if Midwest assumes that you boil all the lme for 60, which would help in darkening the beer. I added the other 2/3 at flame out. They tell you to boil everything for 60...

Oh well, it tastes good warm and uncarbed, so go high hopes. Still not clearing, so ill let it sit for a few more days...

Yes this will make it lighter. As long as it taste good enjoy.

The beer will darken as the yeast falls out of suspension. All the yeast floating around reflect light and make the beer appear lighter. Let it sit for a while.

This is the best beer I've made! Color on mine came out Amber, like a Newcastle color. Definitely let it age, it just gets better!

Bottled it this weekend. Color is still way off. Looks almost like a bud light in color, though hazier. Might be slightly darker, like a blonde ale. I wonder what happened???

Sounds like you got the amber orange sort of color I saw in Thirsty Dog's Cerberus ale. It's a Belgian Trippel style with that sort of color.

chungking said:
Bottled it this weekend. Color is still way off. Looks almost like a bud light in color, though hazier. Might be slightly darker, like a blonde ale. I wonder what happened???

Reread earlier posts. I boiled all the lme I'd imagine that's what gave me the darker color

Back