Opinions - Cream Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDukDong

Reaction score
Howzit HBT'ers!

I put together a simple cream ale recipe after reading through other posts and wanted to get some thoughts on it. My nephew is a Marine serving in Afghan right now and due to be home next month so i wanted to make a beer for his welcome home shindig. I asked him what his favorite beer was and of course he said sh*t like, Corona, BMC etc...etc.. :confused:Dude is barely pushing 21 and hasn't really developed a palate for fine beers yet but he will eventually! :rockin:

13lbs - 2-Row
2lbs - MO
2lbs - Flaked Corn

1oz - Saaz 60min
1oz - Tettan 60min

Total IBU: 13

This was a 10gl batch, 5gl w/ s-05 & 5gl w/ s-04

I mashed at 152 and got an efficiency right under 75%.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

The Donger

I would have used twice that much adjunct. My last cream ale is 33% rice.

With my cream ales I pitch at 59F and let the temp up about one degree per day. When it's done (at FG, normally about four days) raise the temp to 70 for 2 days. After that I rack to secondary and crash to 33F. A day or so later when it's cold I add a 2 grams of almost-boiled gelatin. In another two days it's bright and ready for bottling. If I follow the fermentation close I can serve them out of the bottle two weeks from brew day.

I wouldn't use S-04 in one. US-05 works great.

Back