heffe in the secondary?.?.?.?.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
Just checked my heffe that has been cooking for 10 days. Gravity is right were it should be.. Started at 1.050 and today was 1.011. So my question---

I know heffe's are cloudy beers but it was a little "cloudier" that I am looing for. I am going to rack to the secondary but I wanted to bottle this weekend. Would 4-5 days in the secondary be ok or should I relax and let it sit another week for a total of 11-12 days? I understand the advantage of longer secondary times but I still want some "heffe qualities" in the bottle.

I am brewing Saturday so I wanted to bottle and then get the next batch going in the same day. Only pissies SWMBO off for one day instead of two weekends in a row!!

It should clear in the bottle too. I did late extract on my hefe and before you pour the 'hefe' in it is crystal clear. I never did a secondary.

I let my heffe sit in primary for 2wks

pours nice and clear until you swirl up the last bit and pour it in

tasted it w/o the "hefe" once and it was soooooo off....poured it in and it was awesome...again

I'd say let it sit in primary for a total of 2-3 weeks and then bottle. Once your gravity becomes consistent and fermentation ends, which should only take 7-10 days tops, the extra time could be considered a conditioning phase and your Hefes should be consumed as fresh as possible.

Back