Double Dark IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of my 1st IPA recipe?

• Great

• Good

• Ok

• Sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

superkustom

Reaction score
I love Hop beer so this is what I brewed for my first one. I figured I would make a big/dark IPA, since fall is fast approaching. Currently it is has been fermenting for 4 days. Let me know what you think. . .

Below are the instructions of my first beer

Ingredients:
• 8¼ lbs Amber malt extract
• 1¼ lb Dark malt extract
• ½ lb Dingmars Belgium Aromatic
• ½ lb British Chrystal 55L
• 1 tsp Irish moss
• 2 oz Chinook pellets
• 2 oz Amarillo pellets
• 1 oz Cascade pellets
• 1 oz Amarillo pellets(for steeping)
• White Labs California ale yeast (WLP001)
Process:
Steep grains in 3 gallons of water @ 155 and hold there for 30 minutes.

Add malt extract and stir to fully dissolve
Bring the wort to a full boil and add 2 oz Chinook hops and start 45 minute timer.

@ 15 minutes, add the Irish moss, add 1 oz Cascade hops
@ 30 minutes, add 2 oz Amarillo hops
@ 45 minutes, remove from heat.

Cool to 75 degrees
Pitch the yeast, add 1oz Amarillo hops (in hop bag), add fermentation lock

as far as general procedures go, people normally list hops starting at the boil and going down to zero. So you hop schedule should look like this, I think, unless I'm reading it wrong:

45 2 oz of chinook
30 cascade and irish moss
15 2 oz amarillo
0 remove from heat

A few other things to note:
Irish Moss is typically added with 15 minutes left in the boil, not sure if 30 would help or hurt, that's just the recommendation.
I like a complete 60 minute boil.
hop addition are broken down as bittering (60-21 minutes left in the boil) flavor (20-10 minutes left in the boil) and aroma (10-0 minutes left in the boil). So your beer is really loaded on the bittering hops with a bunch of amarillo flavor. Also, I would add the extra ounce of Amarillo at the end of the boil, not in the fermentation chamber.

Other than all that I like the hop combo! Recipe looks decent enough.

First off . . .Thanks for the advise, I am super new to this and I can use all the help I can get.

After tasting, I will try another, using your sugestions. In my next batch I will take the hop schedule into account. thanks again.

theres a couple things i'd change.

malt: if you plan to steep specialty grains, i would move to light or extra light extract so you have better control over your product. also, as it stands thats more crystal malt that i'd like in an IPA (both dark & amber contain crystal malt). not that it realyl matters in a dark beer, but i'd also add half of your extract at the end of the boil in the future. keeps it lighter & less caramelization

hops: i'd shift them all 15mins later in the boil to get more aroma/flavor. also that final amarillo oz should have been added after fermentation, the yeast activity is going to drive off most of the aroma.

yeast: you should have used a starter or the dry yeast equivalent (Fermentis S-05). use mrmalty in the future to calculate the proper amount of yeast ot pitch http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

damn . . . you are right . . . after reading other posts and recipies, I need more malt, well I guess its just a dark IPA. Thanks

Just bottled and it smelled very good. 20 bombers and a 6 pack of 12oz bottles used. Upon sampling it was hoppy but had a smooth finish and had a deep amber color. I could really taste the chinook and smell the amarillo it's a hop bomb, kinda like "A Little Sumpin' Wild" by Lagunitas Brewing Company. Beginning gravity: 1.066 / Ending gravity: 1.010, so abv is around 7.4666. Now I have to let it sit, 3 weeks minimum. I will check back with a 2nd tasting.

Latest posts

Back