Keg dented in bottom... OK to use still?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustardnugget

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here...

I'm an absolute noob when it comes to kegging and I've just purchased a 2 cornelius keg system from a home brew supplier.

Straight away I noticed that one of the kegs has a sizeable dent in the bottom causing the dip tube to no longer sit in the centre of the bottom...

I also notice that when I place a little hot water in it and put the lid on, pressure escapes quite readily through the "in" valve.:confused:

Obviously the leak would have to be fixed I'd think, but with the dent in the bottom would it still be OK for use? Can it simply be bashed out and the dip tube bent back into place?

Cheers in advance for any advice you can offer.:mug:

Yes, the dent is fine. You just won't be able to suck up anything from below the bottom of the spear.

You will, however, need to fix the leaking seals. If it's just the in valve, you might be fine after you hook up your CO2 source, since you will have constant pressure going in. I would hook everything up and check for leaks with soapy water, and suck the water/cleaner out until empty to see how much beer you will leave behind in the bottom.

So I guess the problem keg would be ok as long as it's on the CO2 line... but no good for pressurizing beer and then storing off the line?

Bit of a bummer really if that's the case so might look into repairing it.

Thanks for the tip there mrtrav...

I'd say hook your keg up to your co2 and pressurize it. Take it off your line and then check and see if you have leaks.

Normally when you'd buy a keg from a store they already come pressurized to prove that they will hold it. You can check to see if your ok with a spray bottle with soapy water or star-san... If you see bubbles you know you have a leak.
Also, normally, if you buy a keg all the rubber O-rings will need to be replaced, unless the vendor already did this.

I got a similar keg ,DENTED.I had to replace the gasketts but it works like a champ! Somtimes I have to f**k w/the lid to get it to seal under preasure though.

Well after all, I sent some photos to the store I bought from and I got a reply saying they'll send me a new one and to keep the dodgy one for spares:ban:

If any of you guys are in Australia... Check out www.aussiebrewers.com.au

Fantastic bunch of blokes.

Okay so off topic a bit...

Is it okay to keep the gas bottle & regulator in the fridge with the beer? The regulator is pretty darned cold already with all that co2 running through it...

My home brew supplier said it could lessen the lifespan of the regulator but if anyone has a differing opinion, I'd be keen to hear it...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back