I got the shizzle for my fizzle!! Just 1 ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-m

Reaction score
So, The dual faucet keg set-up that I ordered from E-bay arrived today. It seems pretty good. I absolutley got my money's worth in this set up.

However!!!!!.......

One of my two "reconditioned" corny kegs REEKS of Pepsi-Cola and the main gasket that seals the lid is cracked and dry rotted (and there was actually a dead leaf stuck to the inside). Me thinks this one didn't get reconditioned on the inside. The outside, however, looks shiny and new.

Has any one ever successfully (and permanently) removed the odor of cola from a corny keg? How do I do it?

Just soak it in hot water with 1/4 cup of white vinegar - even get rootbeer out. Same for gaskets if their good but add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar.

I'd soak it in PBW (powered brewery wash) to clean out the inside. And I'd spring for a new set of gaskets. Hell they are only like 2-3 bux. Saves a load of headaches.

:mug: Not bad on the white vinegar idea Deb. Use that on coffee pots all the time and it didn't even cross my addled brain to use it on kegs! Good Job!

If it was sold as reconditioned it should of had new gaskets on it and been clean inside. Call the vendor and get them to send you the gaskets.

I always replace the gaskets and poppets on my kegs as I buy. Good to know that everything is in working order this way. Sounds like you bought used (we all do) but not actually reconditioned.

After you clean it you can fill the keg with water and pour in a cup of baking soda. Let it sit for a day.
:mug:

EDIT: Make sure you clean the dip tube and the gas tube inside the carboy.

Latest posts

Back