Primary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messi

Reaction score
hey,

I have a glass secondary... and i was just wondering if the advantages of 6.5g glass primary really outweigh the disadvantages of a 6.5g plastic primary. The plastic fermenter is light, has a big opening at the top, and I don't have to worry about it cracking, but I can't see what is going on like I would be able to if it was glass.

any suggestions?

By "plastic primary", I assume you mean a plastic pail, and not a Better Bottle? The Better Bottles are really the best of both worlds- lightweight, easy to move around, and you can see through them.

From all that I've read on here and elsewhere, there are plenty of people happily brewing away with plastic pails as primaries. If it works for you, then don't mess with it. However, someday, the seals on your lids or the scratches in your pails are going to cause an infected brew. It may happen tomorrow, it may happen 50 years from now, but someday, it will happen unless you are being dilligent and swapping them out when they get too beat up. At that time, if you decide brewing is for you, then you may want to go to BB's just for the convenience. Also, the carboys (glass or BB) won't impart off-flavors if used for longterm storage, so in that sense, they are more flexible since they can be used for multiple things (primary or secondary).

Buit with all that said, even if you're just using carboys, you will still want a bucket around for use as a bottling bucket. So, really, buying a new carboy is not going to be a waste- you will still put what you presently have to good use. So, if you really want one, then go for it.

Sounds like you need a Better Bottle.

Personally, I don't want to see what is going on in there. Bunch of yeast spewing waste products into my beer!

I use glass everything, much for the reasons Toot mentioned. Maybe it's paranoia, but when I think of plastic I think of scratches, which to nasties are like giant, inviting valleys of happiness. Glass is easy to clean, easy to not break (IMHO), and is as inert as anything out there. Taint gonna flavor your beer.

I like primary-ing in glass w/ a blowoff tube and clearing in glass to. Unlike David, I ALWAYS like to see what's goin on in there. I am actually pissed at the fact that I can't stare at my lagers w/o leaving the fridge open for the whole time. I need a fridge peep hole too!!!

Back