So what do you guys do besides brew (pics encouraged)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neunelfer

Reaction score
So what are your other hobbies/sports/interests?

Me?

I am an amateur boxer (in black):
ring07wf2.jpg

I play golf on the weekends when I can:
golfingfathersday2008fm5.jpg

I ride a motorcycle and goof around:
gorillabikegm2.jpg

Motorcycle:
img_1526.jpg

wait until I get the klr next Monday, oh man I think I'm setting off that day for some random adventure!

and skiing:
00087.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

img002.jpg

notice the snow theme... don't know what it is.

So what's this "do besides brew" thing to which you speak of?

I'm involved with the local 1880's Vintage Recreation Base Ball Club, I'm one of the teams "Tally Keepers." And probably next season I will train as ref. We wear period clothing. Here's a pic from a recent newspaper article. If you squint, I'm the guy in the huge straw hat sitting at the table with the checkered table cloth to the left of the bat barrel.

7165_512.jpg

In my 20's and 30's I was heavily involved in the music industry locally, I was a live music producer for WDET, the Public Radio Station in Detroit, as well as doing freelance photography for local acts, I even helped open a jazz club. I still love live music and the summer music festival circuit in Michigan (except for this year with gas prices so high) you can usually find me at one of them on a weekend.

This is me with this incredible Irish rock Band, "The Screaming Orphans." (Check them out on myspace.) They kinda adopted me last summer....It sucks getting old...being looked up to as a "father figure" by four attractive young sisters from Ireland...Isn't quite the studly thing one thinks it is....

Festival_of_the_arts_2007_203.jpg

Although I haven't much in the last couple years, I used to be big into african drumming, and the whole drum circle thing. I even used to make drums and flutes. I even taught a couple workshops on spirituality and percussion. The coolest thing I ever did, was help my drum teacher lead a 500 person percussion circle at a world music festival.

medrumming.JPG

I love to cook, it's what got me into Brewing to begin with...(This pic is ime back n my cottage back in ministerial school, my housemate was just as much as a food geek as I was.)

cooky.JPG

Holy crap, I guess I do have a life outside of this obsession....

Ohiobrit, your work is phenomenal!!!!!

I do a little fishing at my cottage (with my dog):
DSCF0005.JPG

I love tropical vacations on pretty deserted islands:
4189-beach.jpg

I play hockey:
hockey_008.JPG

(I'm in the bottom row, right in the middle).

You all have some great, interesting and unique hobbies. Brewing and beer are pretty much it for me right now but I do have aspirations to get into camping, fishing and kayaking. It's been a busy summer, and I haven't even had much time to brew.

Oh fire dept stuff. This pic is from 2004. I am in the middle
309343481_l.jpg

I dont have pictures of me snowboarding

I just realized that no one (SWMBO) ever takes pictures of me. Oh well. I love the outdoors. This includes working as well as hunting, fishing, floating, hiking, etc. Right now I've been a bit busy at work to play much but I've been finding time to brew.

I cook barbecue and other stuff on my ceramic cooker (not a black BGE, but a Grill Dome) and judge BBQ contests. I'm a certified judge for the Kansas City Barbecue Society, Florida Barbecue Association, and Memphis Barbecue Network (Formerly Memphis in May).

gdopen.jpg

wholeporkshoulder.jpg

PizzaJan06.jpg

XMAS2003_1358rs.jpg

So a quick check through the pictures from the last year reveal that either I don't DO much of anything, or SWMBO doesn't take pictures of me doing it. I brew and work and do chores, then I come here and chat or post and think about brewing. I gave up all of my other hobbies when I got married and had kids. I'm so Jealous of you guys...and gals.

Here are a couple that I've taken.

IMG_0676%20copy.jpg

IMG_3187%20copy.jpg

IMG_3555%20copy2.jpg

I Really am pretty boring I guess.

Other than brew beer?

I drink beer. :)

While druck, I tend to poke around at embedded software development and gadgets.

Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-11.png

Well, let's see if I can dig up some pics:

First and foremost, I've been studying traditional Australian Aboriginal culture in the 'Top End' through art, culture and music for the past 8 years- and am trying to learn Gupapuyngu, a language spoken by Yolngu in NC and NE Arnhemland. This passion for Aboriginal culture and music led me to open JDIDJ, my attempts to give traditional didjeridu craftsmen recognition in the marketplace.

Here's a picture of me leading a workshop on traditional didjeridu technique on a smoking Ambrose Cameron mago in Ithaca, NY in mid-July.

file.php

I also play rugby for a Division II club team in Lancaster, PA called the Roses.

Over the past year, I've devoted more serious study to West African djembe technique after drumming 'lost' for a couple of years, performing with a group called Imani

Do 99% of the cooking in my house
IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Work, drive/ride this:
AT708-1.jpg

Other than that, hang out with my wife and kids, hunt, fish. :D

Go to work. Come home and work. Watch the kids so the wife can go to work in the eve. Work on the house on the weekends, so it won't be such a ****hole.

What's this "hobbies" you speak of?

Go to work. Come home and work. Watch the kids so the wife can go to work in the eve. Work on the house on the weekends, so it won't be such a ****hole.

What's this "hobbies" you speak of?

That's why I am taking advantage of my youth! I know in about another 3 years when I enter med school my life as I know it, will be over. :D

Up until recently, I was big into aquariums, and aquarium photography.
DSCF4800.jpg

Shooting:
741287088_l.jpg

Cooking:
DSCF5233.jpg

Working on my car (not really a hobby, but it occupies my free time):
DSC02827.jpg

You guys aren't making my required weight cut to 178lbs (from 195lbs) any easier. :(

Just punch the ref at the weigh-in in the head. ;)

Wow, Laurel brews, cooks, shoots AND is a motorhead?!?!?

Gonna go turn the AC on in here now, must be busted. Gettin' warm...:D

IDPA and USPSA shooting. I don't have any pictures of myself shooting, but here's my USPSA gun belt setup (without the holster.)
DSCF6171.jpg

And here are some videos:

Washington State 2008 IDPA championship match (this was yesterday)

Last month's USPSA match

Last edited by a moderator:
Back