Krumbacher Pilsner Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is really hard to clone a particular Pilsner, because the recipes don’t have a huge amount of variation. Mostly/all German pilsner malt, solid dose of Hallertau to bitter, some additions close to the end of the boil, good process for fermentation/lagering etc… If you haven't done one I'd suggest picking a solid recipe and giving it a try, then adjust from there.

I just got 10 lbs of floor malted Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt from a friend, looking forward to trying it out by itself double decoction mash in a Czech Pilsner. For a beer that is so simple (SMaSH) and clean it is amazing how much more important the small decisions become, water profile, mash schedule, pH, fermentation temp etc...

It is really hard to clone a particular Pilsner, because the recipes don’t have a huge amount of variation. Mostly/all German pilsner malt, solid dose of Hallertau to bitter, some additions close to the end of the boil, good process for fermentation/lagering etc… If you haven't done one I'd suggest picking a solid recipe and giving it a try, then adjust from there.

I just got 10 lbs of floor malted Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt from a friend, looking forward to trying it out by itself double decoction mash in a Czech Pilsner. For a beer that is so simple (SMaSH) and clean it is amazing how much more important the small decisions become, water profile, mash schedule, pH, fermentation temp etc...

wow good post. yeah just little things I am learning like the water profile can make a beer taste totally different. Good luck on the Czech pilsner. I love those. The best comm one I drank recently was a Shiner 101 czech pilsner. I tried to clone it and didnt come close.

Back