Broken Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
I was brewing my first batch last night and broke the hydrometer. My understanding is that is the only way I can know when the batch is ready to be bottled. I went ahead and finished everything because I didn't know what else to do I was in the middle of the brew. Is there anyway for me to know when the batch is ready?

First of all, welcome to the forum!

You can always buy a new hydrometer. Once gravity is constant for 3 days, fermentation is complete and your beer can be bottled.

However, if you want to make the best beer possible (and who doesn't) you should let the beer sit in primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better. This gives the yeast time to clean up after itself, helping to get rid of any byproducts from fermentation that can cause off-flavors. After 2 -3 weeks in primary, fermentation is almost certainly complete, and you can bottle safely. Then let the beer sit in the bottles for 3 weeks, chill 1 or 2 for 24 - 48 hours, and try it. Buying a new hydrometer should still be a priority. It's really the only way to know for sure when fermentation is complete.

Time and patience are your friends in this hobby. The last beer from the batch will be the best beer of the batch. In the meantime, get another batch going so you have something to occupy yourself with while you wait!

thanks for the help I am going to order a new hydrometer. I am so new and the instructions they gave me at the store were not very good. I have the batch in the primary (even though I'm not sure its going to work) after the two weeks I mix in the sugar and beer in the bottling bucket and bottle for three weeks? What is the best way to sanitize the bottles? Also I think I am going to order a second primary fermenter and start a blue berry hefeweizen if you have any recommendations for a good recipe or another beer you recommend.

thanks for the help I am going to order a new hydrometer. I am so new and the instructions they gave me at the store were not very good. I have the batch in the primary (even though I'm not sure its going to work) after the two weeks I mix in the sugar and beer in the bottling bucket and bottle for three weeks? What is the best way to sanitize the bottles? Also I think I am going to order a second primary fermenter and start a blue berry hefeweizen if you have any recommendations for a good recipe or another beer you recommend.

I broke two hydrometers my first brew day, it was a disaster. I would check out How to Brew by John Palmer for quality instructions, I have read that thing every day since I started, awesome resource.

When I bottled, I added sugar to some water and brought it to a boil, making sure all the sugar had liquified. Then I let that cool and then put that in the bottling bucket, then racked my beer on top of that. I think that is proper way to do it.

For sanitizing bottles, I got some StarSan and mixed it in a 5 gallon bucket and then submerged my bottles in there and let them sit. Then when it was time to bottle, I cycled bottles into the sanitizer as I bottled others, worked pretty well.

is there a way to look at the airlock and see if its fermenting? Are there suppose to be bubbles coming up? It is coming up on 48 hours in there and I thought it was suppose to start by then

The airlock will begin to release bubbles, although that can take anywhere from a few hours to several days. Give it some time and don't worry. Definitely go to Howtobrew.com and read through Brewing Your First Beer With Malt Extract.

Hey Ben, welcome to HBT!

You should locate the broken hydrometer thread and add yours to the count. It will make you feel right at home.

Would it be a big deal to take the lid off for a minute and take a peak or should I resist my urges and wait?

Little harm will come from cracking the lid and taking a peek...just don't do it too much. Look for any activity or Krausen beginning to start. One issue you could be having (now that you have mentioned lifting the lid) is a leak in the lid's seal. This could cause carbon dioxide to escape without causing the airlock to bubble. You have nothing to worry if this is the case. Just let it continue to ferment. Most likely this is not the case and in less than a day you will probably see activity in your airlock. Also, read this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Bobby M on here did a great Youtube video that helped me when i was a noob help understand Hydrometers. If you have a few minutes check it out its worth the watch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#p/u/35/xtQt7HiObuU[/ame]

Bubbles in the airlock (or the lack thereof) is not an indication of fermentation (or the lack thereof!) The airlock is simply a pressure relief valve. It's only been 48 hours since you pitched your yeast (you did pitch yeast, didn't you? :drunk:) Let them do their job. They know what they are doing. Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. The hydrometer is really the only way to be sure if fermentation is taking place. Be patient!!

Normally, I would say RDWHAHB, but since this is your first batch, RDWHAMicroB! Your beer is fine.

ok so I peaked. I didn't see anything. its been about 48 hours and it doesn't seem to have any foam or anything

There is a thing called a Vinator I have heard works really well to sanitize bottles. Squirts Star San up into them. I just use my spray bottle and a bottle tree. I love the bottle tre. I have no better way to leave bottle upside down.

There is a thing called a Vinator I have heard works really well to sanitize bottles. Squirts Star San up into them. I just use my spray bottle and a bottle tree. I love the bottle tre. I have no better way to leave bottle upside down.

I've got the vinator and use my top dishwasher rack to store the bottles until I fill them. Works great for me.

Back