Add ons using Coopers Stout (Feedback please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DREBEESIE

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have not done a coopers kit in a long time. I know alone they don't end up being much for a beer lover such as myself.

I am trying to figure out if adding some extras will make it come out better
here's what I got:

1.1lbs of LDME (light Dry Malt Extract)
1 box of brew enhancer 1
1 can of DME (Liquid Dark Malt Extract)
1 can of Coopers Stout.

I'd like to add some roasted cocoa nibs as well to add some chocolate flavor.

I am hoping to achieve a stout that is about 5% - 6% in abv with a nice head and mouth feel.

Hoping it will be a little thicker and have a higher abv than the usual coopers stout done with the kit.

I'm thinking of using the WPL001 California Ale yeast.

I'd go with the stout can,the can of dark malt extract,& maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the brew enhancer1. You don't want to dry it out too much. The light DME would lighten the color as well as alter the flavor a bit. And some Carafa special should get a hint of chocolate flavor. Look at the sticky at the top of the beginners forum "recipe formulation & ingredients descriptions" for info on the Carafa special,& how much to use/how.
Some English style ale hops would be nice as well. Gotta balance out all that malt.

Have you ever tried the commercial Coopers Best Extra Stout? I think it's an awesome stout. Here's the recipe from the Coopers site.

Best Extra Stout (20 litres)STEP 1: Mix
Our commercial Best Extra Stout is an outstanding beer, hence the numerous awards. This recipe is an approximation to the former version of Best Extra Stout at 6.8% ABV, which was also sold as a bottled-aged product called Special Old Stout. We reckon the extra alcohol increases the longevity of the brew. It’s a great beer to cellar and taste periodically to see how it develops. To get as close as possible to style, it’s important to ferment at 21C using the commercial yeast culture. Look in our “Talk Brewing” area for a guide on growing our commercial yeast.

Ingredients
• 1.7kg can Original Series Stout
• 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract
• 500g Sugar/Dextrose

Have you ever tried the commercial Coopers Best Extra Stout? I think it's an awesome stout. Here's the recipe from the Coopers site.

Ingredients
• 1.7kg can Original Series Stout
• 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract
• 500g Sugar/Dextrose

This is close to what I was thinking. But the single thing that I think improves a canned stout kit, some additional roasted barley.

It seems like when using roasted malts in a partial, they're less prone to getting lost flavor wise then other malts.

Joe,you're not helping anything by spreading your hate for a decent product. If you don't like it,fine. I think if they're "recombined" they're way better. The ale that Gary at home brewer tv gave a three thumbs up (#38),was one I based on an old cooper's can. So Cooper's isn't crap if you have imagination. Not just brewing kits straight up & hope it's good.
At least dreb's trying to make something good of it. That's what I'm doing at the moment.

Okay so I brewed it tonight, I boiled 10 oz of cocoa nibs in a op bag for 15 minutes, I added 8 oz of dark Belgian candy sugar into the boil to melt it all down. Then I added a 3.3lb can of dark malt extract and the can of coopers stout. I choose a packet of Nottingham yeast to ferment with.

OG was 1070

Should end up similar to an American stout (I hope)

I would go with half of the brew enhancer and the LDME.
Then if you are bottling add some strong (read as very strong) coffee at bottle time.
I put in 5ml per 630ml bottle and it is great!

That seems to be the consensus in AU as well to add half the box of brew enhancer,or less to the kit can/extra malt. Plus hops,of course.

I actually over time learned to stay away from things like brew enhancers. I use malts DME or LME to raise ABV and increase the complexity. I will even sometime do specialty grains for a 20 minute steep before using extract kits. I've learned a lot in four years.

Back