Sparger vs Carbonation Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richy_23

Reaction score
I have a question .

I have a 1.5 inch sparger in a 500l brite tank the same sparger you would find . In a 2 inch t piece arrangement.That won't carbonate period.

Does this mean I need a 12 or 8 inch stone to carb this volume. Also must the stone be off centre to work properly in tank?

Stone all the way. The sparger will eventually carbonate the tank, but that'll take ~2ish weeks while keeping the temp at a constant low level and IIRC you don't have cooling on your bright tank. It's barely a step above pumping the CO2 into the headspace.

I think that so long as the stone is near the bottom of the tank that the center v. off-center location is irrelevant.

If you do get a stone, be sure to install a one way check valve on it if it doesn't come standard.

Cheers mate this has been why I haven't been able to carbonate properly for months. Amateur... Of me. Also herd I need to make sure stone nut etc assembled tightly and checked in bucket of water. Thanks allot.

Don't sweat it, we were all new at one point. Even at 50+ hrs a week working and thinking about cider at the 'professional' level I still learn new things constantly. I'll still consider myself an amateur in ten years.

Good luck!

Back