This is what a hot keggle will do to you...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzinator

Reaction score
So, I brew with one 70K BTU propane burner with a keggle HLT and BK, and a 10 gallon cooler MT. As I lifted my HLT off the burner with about 3 gallons of 185ish water in it (just sparged and since my sight glass doesn't read till 3ish gallons) and moved it down to the bottom of my driveway for drainage into storm drain, this happened to my leg:

IMAG0226.jpg

Ouch!! The very bottom of the keg, which was in constant contact with hot ass propane, bit my leg. The skin continues to look like onion paper.

On the upside, I brewed a fatty bombatty IPA with Sorachi Ace. I pitched a nice 2L starter of West Coast Ale yeast and it looks like this and smells amazing (note blowoff tube --- it was overtaking my airlock), I'll have to post the recipe after I taste it and see what it's got going for it:

IMAG0222.jpg

Note the temp probe for my temp controller plumbers putty-ed onto the carboy, and my summer "thermal control system (aka, fan)".

IMAG0223.jpg

The beer looks awesome and HUGE krausen! I bet it smells a delight also :D

The leg: not so awesome :(

I bet it smells a delight also

It does. It's like sticking your head in a bag of freshly cut oranges and lemons. You can also notice a little bit of dill-like aroma, too. I bittered with Warrior, and then used Willamette, Citra, and a big finish of Sorachi. Also a single Chinook addition for some earthy backbone. I plan to dry hop with Citra, too.

At 1.070, I plan on getting about 60ish IBUs.

Latest posts

Back