Should I rack this melomel yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phissionkorps

Reaction score
Mango melomel. 3lbs clover honey, 2.5lbs total mangos, but after the pits and skin came off, it was probably more like 2lbs or slightly less:

DSCN0439.jpg

I used 1116. I was planning on leaving it for a while longer but it seems to be awful thick on the bottom. I didn't take an OG reading because I was between hydrometers at the time, and can't really get a reading now since the fruit is on top. It's been in there 3 weeks so far.

for an estimated OG goto gotmead.com and use their mead calculator. its only an estimate but then itll give you an idea

I don't think I understand that calculator. It just constantly says 1.104 SG and 14.02 ABV, even after I enter ingredients and hit calculate.

NVM I think I got it. It says 1.117 and 15.83% for 3lbs honey, 2lbs mangos. Is 1116 going to make it there?

3lbs. Yep, 1 gal.
It won't go that high for sure, since I'm about to rack off the fruit, and that calculator assumes that you let all the sugars in the fruit ferment.

I'll bet you a dollar against a Dog Turd that your OG (Without fruit) was 1.100

And you will make that assumption.

You'll end up a bit over 14% if that fruit has very much sugar in it...which...2#....not going to be a lot...maybe 1% or 2%.

Fear not...it's going to be gooooood!

Racked and tasted today. It's cleared up quite a bit (except I stirred some stuff up with my stupid autosiphon skills). The mango flavor didn't really come through as much as I had hoped, so note to self: more fruit next time. Of course, it burned, but wasn't horribly unpleasant (more in the mouth than the throat). The aftertaste is slightly sour and mangoy. I used 3 green and 2 ripe mangos, so I was expecting/hoping on it ending up this way.

I forgot to mention, for whatever reason, I added about 1/4 of a cinnamon stick at the beginning. That barely came through, which was my intended goal.

Ok, so mango is approx 11% sugar by weight, so 2# of mango would be about 0.22# of sugar, lending about 0.008 to your SG. With an OG of 1.100 without the fruit, adding the fruit you'd have 1.108 to 1.110. yay for maths.

Back