First Brew OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aacampora

Reaction score
So started my first brew today. Bought a Brewers Best equipment kit and one of their Red Ale brew kits. I'm a bit nervous feels like I'm having a kid. Question on the OG reading I ended up with 1.058 now the Hydrometer was designed for 60 degrees and I was probably closer to 76 or 77 degrees the recipient guide said I should have a reading between 1.048-1.052 should I be ok given the higher temp?

I am just a noob, but I am pretty sure there is an adjustment you can make for temp. It's right in my hydrometer holder thing.

Yes it was two cans actually.

So if I need to cut down the ABV can I simply add a bit more water when I rack it for my second fermentation?

I was curious because if you drew your hydrometer sample from the bottom of the primary it is possible that you got a little bit of concentrated wort from the canned extract, giving you a slightly higher OG. If you added everything and followed the directions, it is pretty difficult to miss your OG by much. It can be hard to mix the extract evenly with the rest of the wort, but worry not, the yeast will not have a problem finding what they need. I'm sure it will turn out fine! :)

Back