Oxygen Barrier Crown Caps: Yea or Nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
Hi,

Was just considering bottle caps for my first brew and wondered if the oxygen barrier ones are good, bad, or just more expensive. Considering that most of what I will be brewing will be on the shelf for a while before it gets opened, I thought maybe this would be a good idea.

Thank you,

Petunia

Most probably the longest time frame will be around two years. I am guessing, but I am enjoying this brewing business and we just don't drink much beer.

If that is too long to keep a brew then I'll just give it away.

Perhaps homebrew will be so danged good that I'll actually get to craving it?

Petunia

No answer, but been wondering this myself for my 1st mead I'll be bottling. I know aging is good for this stuff...

Damn Squirrels said:
Try a hefeweizen... You'll be doing this --> :tank: in no time!!!!

Okay Mr. Damn, if you can supply a newbie type recipe I'm game.

:)

The local (if you can call 40 miles away local) brew store had a wine and beer tasting, I wanted to go just for the wheat beer, but we couldn't make it.

Petunia

Something to consider if your production is going to vastly out-pace your consumption is to brew smaller batches. July - Aug BYO has an article on small batch brewing.

Petunia said:
Okay Mr. Damn, if you can supply a newbie type recipe I'm game.

:)

The local (if you can call 40 miles away local) brew store had a wine and beer tasting, I wanted to go just for the wheat beer, but we couldn't make it.

Petunia

Sure.
6 lbs wheat/malt LME (usually 60% wheat, 40% barley mix)
1 ounce Hallertau hops at 60.
Steep 1/2 lb of carapils (optional)
Ferment with White Labs WLP 300 Hefeweizen yeast

brewt00l said:
Something to consider if your production is going to vastly out-pace your consumption is to brew smaller batches. July - Aug BYO has an article on small batch brewing.

I have the opposite problem!:drunk: :mug: :tank:

Al

the oxygen absorbing caps are probably a good idea for long storage just dont boil them to sanatize them

Damn Squirrels said:
Sure.

Looks like a good recipe. I may brew it soon. I'm substituting 5lbs DME for the LME.

As for oxygen absorbing caps, i've never used them. Although all of my beers have tended to be gone very quickly! :cross:

Damn Squirrels said:
Sure.

I used this same recipe except with 1oz of Tettnang hops. I just bottle it last Sunday and it smelled fantastic. I've yet to sample so I'm not sure how the finished product is but one thing I did note is a very nice banana aroma coming off the beer. I believe this was due to me fermenting around 72 degrees.

Back