Bottle conditioning time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch July 1st, a John Bull Dark Ale with 1# of Light DME. It sat in the Mr. Beer keg for three weeks. How long should I bottle condition for? I bottled on the 23rd. petey

3 weeks is a good place to start. However, if you're like me, you'll break down and open one at 10 days...realize it isn't ready...open another at 2 weeks...realize it isn't ready...open another at 17 or 18 days...realize it's close, but not quite ready...and then finally a fourth at 3 weeks and realize that it's good, but will be really good in another 2 weeks and then hope you'll have some of it left by then!

Remember, the best bottle in the batch is usually the last one.

JLem, Thanks for the reply. I have to correct myself. My third batch was bottled last Saturday. The John Bull was bottled about 10 days ago. That stuff is pitch black. I think I'd need a laser to see any light through it.

Back