hefeweizen taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sime13w

Reaction score
I am not sure if it taste right but i kind of get a bandaid taste. What did i do wrong?

Midwest hanks hefeweizen
Full boil and followed all ingredients. Sat in primary for two weeks then bottled. Sat carbonating for 13 days. just tasted my first one and it is drinkable but don't know if it came out right.

Any thoughts?

These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.
-John Palmer

sime13w said:
I am not sure if it taste right but i kind of get a bandaid taste. What did i do wrong?

Midwest hanks hefeweizen
Full boil and followed all ingredients. Sat in primary for two weeks then bottled. Sat carbonating for 13 days. just tasted my first one and it is drinkable but don't know if it came out right.

Any thoughts?

Phenols can also be caused by wild yeast AKA infection. Happened to me with my first kolsch. The flavor became so bad it took on a throat spray taste. I don't believe it can be corrected. I attribute the cause of my infection to impatience. I must have opened the carboy and drew samples too many times. Didn't notice the problem until after legging and additional lagering in keg. Got worse with time.

Back