Marris Otter Maltsers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I have started using MO lately and am going to start buying it in bulk. A little research on here shows that there are several differences from maltster to maltster in MO, but the info I found is pretty scant and inconclusive. So....

Do you have a favorite MO? What kinds have you tried? Can you describe them and their differences?

They are all pretty interchangeable for most styles, though there are differences between them. I typically use Thomas Fawcett and Barids, the latter for styles like porter, stout, brown ale, and IPA where you'll cover up much of the malt character but still want that extra bit of complexity. Fawcett, Simpsons, and Crisp are all excellent MO's, though I think the TF has a bit richer flavor. I've not used Glen Eagle yet. The only one I don't like is Muntons, as it is the blandest of the ones I've used.

I agree completely with bierhaus. T&F is my favorite followed by Simpsons and Crisp. They are all good but there are differences.

Back