Mold on outside of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petry121

Reaction score
I am lagering a Baltic porter right now and it has been at 60degrees (chest freezer with a temp regulator) for 3 weeks now. I have two carboys; a plastic fermentation vessel and a glass one. The plastic one has some mold spores starting to grow.

My gravity isn't where I want it yet, so my question is; is this normal? And should I be concerned that this could possibly contaminate the batch?

Totally normal. I wouldn't worry unless you have big islands of mold growing on the surface of the beer, and even then you still might be ok. A little mold on the outside of a carboy or in the neck isn't much of a concern.

I have that problem with my sauerkraut batches all the time, mold starts growing on the outside of the crocks where it is damp from condensation in the 'keezer'. I usually carefully wipe it off with a piece of paper towel moistened with rubbing alcohol.

as long as its all sealed up the mold should not get inside. this happens to me when i don't change lids after a blow off. doh!

Back