new root beer maker with question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmallory09

Reaction score
I have the zatarains root beer extract and I heard that it has a strong black licorice flavor. I heard that brown sugar and vanilla extract help take away that flavor. I was curious how much I should use in a 5 gallon batch.

OK- I make cider and beer... want to make some soda for the kids but... don't want them to be sipping any alcohol! It it safe to say that making soda- using the yeast to carbonate only... will not create alcohol? probably a dumb question... I know- a little yeast and cap it up, creating cabonation- shouldn't be a problem but just checking...

When yeast eat sugar they make CO2 and alcohol... nature of the beast... bottle carbed soda will have a small amount of alcohol but probly less than 0.5%.

OK- I make cider and beer... want to make some soda for the kids but... don't want them to be sipping any alcohol! It it safe to say that making soda- using the yeast to carbonate only... will not create alcohol? probably a dumb question... I know- a little yeast and cap it up, creating cabonation- shouldn't be a problem but just checking...

Ideally you would ferment in plastic bottles and refrigerate as soon as the bottles get hard and the root beer gets fizzy.

Yes, yeast WILL create alcohol, but it's very small amount. When people ferment a beer, it ferments hard for several days to several weeks. Fermenting a soda creates a very small amount (imagine a very ripe banana) and then you put it in the fridge to stop it (and to prevent bottle bombs).

Latest posts

Back