Cost per bottle Excel spreadsheet or iphone app?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticBastard

Reaction score
Does anybody have an Excel spreadsheet that can calculate cost per bottle of your beer, taking into account fixed equipment costs and varying recipe costs?

Also, how do you guys manage your pipeline? How do you schedule brew and bottle days to ensure a steady flow of product?

In case it's not glaringly obvious, I'm new to this. I'm about to do my 3rd partial boil extract batch w/ specialty grains. Trying to ramp up production to a respectable volume while producing the best beer possible. No space for all grain yet but that's where I'm heading eventually.

Beer Tools Pro does! You have to enter cost per unit in the database and away you go!

screen-capture-1.jpg

Calculating cost by amortizing your equipment is pretty easy, but very unnecessary for a hobby. For a hobby, I wouldn't worry about equipment cost, just ingredients.

For brewing management, figure how long to ferment, bottle condition, and then consume. Time it when your last 6 pack is about to be consumed, your bottle conditioning batch is done.

Not at the brewery, but at home on my homebrew system, I have one fermentor and keg my beer (bottling sucks, IMO). I keep a hefeweizen, dunkelweizen, and weizenbock on tap at my house all the time. The hefeweizen and dunkelweizen get drank the most and the weizenbock less as it's not session strength. It's about 3-4 weeks to drink one 5 gallon keg of the hefeweizen or dunkelweizen and it ferments for 10 days then is chilled and carbonated over a week in the cellering room. Usually in a week or two after that it gets brought up to my home office to serve.

Just time it out. For me I figure 3 weeks from fermentor to serving. I have a 10 gallon system at home so one brew is two months worth of beer. When I change out the keg for a fresh one, I brew that style of beer next. I have three kegs for each style so I can be serving off one keg and have two kegs in the cellar ready to go when that one is empty.

Back