"Big Red Ale" Hopping and Yeast Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
11 gallon batch
25 pounds two row
1 pound C120
1 pound C75
1 pound C45
4 oz chocolate malt

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.014 or soo....

Yeast = ?? WLP007, Pacman, WLP001
Mash temp = 152

I have 1 pound of whole cone columbus hops that I want to dedicate to this recipe and I am wondering how to distribute them, here is my initial thought

2 oz mash hop
2 oz at 30
2 oz at 15
2 oz at 5
2 oz at FO
6 oz dry hop

There is no initial 60 minute hop addition, but I am assuming that the mash hop and the late additions will get me somewhere around 55-60 IBU, I will have to plug all this into beersmith later tonight.

Does this sound tasty or what? Any advice or comments are surely welcome

Instead of doing MAsh Hops I think I would move those to FWH. In my experience I have never tasted a difference with Mash hopping

Instead of doing MAsh Hops I think I would move those to FWH. In my experience I have never tasted a difference with Mash hopping

You have never tasted a difference between mash hopping and first wort hopping or are you saying mash hopping is worthless?

The research I have done indicates a more subtle flavor from mash hopping. I am not going for subtle here, so maybe I will switch them as you suggest to first wort additions.

Back