Filtering before plate chiller -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
I've recently setup my system to whirlpool at the end of the boil, but I also use a plate chiller and have no longer been using my hop bags during the boil. Lately the plate chiller has been getting plugged for obvious reasons. So I plan on doing a good cleaning to the chiller, but I want to setup some sort of filter to avoid this in the future.

It seems like I wouldnt be able to whirlpool with a hop bag in the kettle since it would mess up the whirlpool effect...?

I currently chill the wort while its whirlpooling (kettle-pump-plate chiller-kettle) and once its down to temp I bypass the chiller to finish the whirlpool (kettle-pump-kettle).

Can anyone recommend a better method for this?

I use the trub/hop filter from Brewers Hardware. I tried whirlpooling with it once and it clogged on me so it may not work that great if you still plan to whirlpool. It does work great if you don't whirlpool...or if you're better at whirlpooling than I am. photo (1).JPG

Yikes, thats a ton of goop. Looks like it works good.

I would however still like to keep whirlpooling.

Yeah, if I remember correctly that was about four or five ounces of pellet hops in that batch. Hop spiders and things like that would probably work better for you. Maybe also consider substituting some whole hops for some of your pellets as the whole hops are easier to filter.

Yeah, if I remember correctly that was about four or five ounces of pellet hops in that batch. Hop spiders and things like that would probably work better for you. Maybe also consider substituting some whole hops for some of your pellets as the whole hops are easier to filter.

My concern with using a hop spider is that wouldnt it mess up the flow of the whirlpool? I used to use one when I didnt whirlpool but stopped when I started whirlpooling.

I use one of those stainless steel mesh hop filters. Depending on how and where it floats it does affect my "whirlpool" which isn't very good to begin with. If it stays in the middle of the kettle it works alright.

I also have a SS hose filter attached to my bottom valve. It also helps but tends to clog with gunk, (I use whirlfloc at the end of the boil) when the wort level nears the bottom.

Definitely use some sort of hop filter if you have a plate chiller.

Wondering if making some sort of hop filter to attach to the dip tube would work? Thinking of making with a big surface area and use some 18x18 SS mesh??

I've been able to get a successful whirlpool with a hop spider/bag in use. A lot of it depends on the geometry of the kettle and the mass of the hops in the bag. As long as it doesn't touch the bottom of the kettle it should be ok. It will work less well if you have a ton of hops in the bag. I've only done it a few times, but I have had a nice trub cone at the bottom, with the hop bag hanging there just above it.

I haven't figured out a better option for the buck, with the one exception being using whole hops. I've never used them before, but am growing hops for the first time this year and hope in a couple years i'll have some whole hops to use.

Maybe I am over thinking this ut if youuse the hop spider, cant you take it out at the end of th eboil and then whirpool?

Tim

I run off into a pot and then pump out of that into my chiller. As it runs into the pot it makes a whirlpool and whatever trub is in there draws to the center and I have my pick up on the side. I get perfectly clear wort into the fermenter this way.

316F2B8A-777D-4443-BA70-74A94FE9EAE1-8245-000007EBD2E8E269.jpg

You can, unless you have flameout or whirlpool additions.

Which i do typically have flame additions on alot of my beers. Interesting that the hop spider works with the whirlpool. I use a paint strainer bag and it hangs really low, but even with most of my beers, it seems like it packs up and holds a ton of wort. I feel like if i shortened the bag, the utilization would decrease, no?

I've recently setup my system to whirlpool at the I currently chill the wort while its whirlpooling (kettle-pump-plate chiller-kettle) and once its down to temp I bypass the chiller to finish the whirlpool (kettle-pump-kettle).
Can anyone recommend a better method for this?

Don't you want to whirlpool with hot wort for 30minutes?
Cooling the wort w/ the chiller before/during the whirlpool will effect your flameout hop additions.

You might try using a paint strainer bag as a hop filter after the whirlpool and before chilling the work. Recirculate from the bottom the the kettle into the bag at top of the kettle for 5 minutes and you should get a lot of the hops and trub in the bag.

I haven't tested it or anything, but I feel like if you boil vigorously enough that you can see movement within the bag, or the bag itself is easily moving around in the wort utilization isn't noticeably different.

I usually bind up the edges of the nylon paint strainer so that it's a little shorter. I have considered using one bag for the bittering and anything up to 15 minute additions, them removing that bag or letting it float free in the pot, and then adding a second bag for the under 15 minute and flameout/whirlpool additions in that. When flameout hit, I would remove the first bag, and start the whirlpool.

I may just be complicating it for no reason. If it ain't broke...

Don't you want to whirlpool with hot wort for 30minutes?
Cooling the wort w/ the chiller before/during the whirlpool will effect your flameout hop additions.

You might try using a paint strainer bag as a hop filter after the whirlpool and before chilling the work. Recirculate from the bottom the the kettle into the bag at top of the kettle for 5 minutes and you should get a lot of the hops and trub in the bag.

Well I'm typically whirlpooling the last 10+ minutes of the boil to sanitize the pump and chiller, but how would that effect flameout additions since those are added at 0min? I dont start the chiller up until after those are added.

With the recirculation, i pull from the bottom and it returns about mid-way up the kettle. Spins it really nice when the chiller is bypassed, but i'm not sure how I could have the dumping in to the bag unless i bypassed the return inlet/valve and just poured it in from the top.

I might just try the hop bag method and whirlpool it and see if i can still get a cone at the bottom. I would just need to worry about cold break at that point.

Back