First time that my bank calls to deliver good news

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obliviousbrew

Reaction score
I got a call from my bank today. The bank was giving away 1000 prizes of €1000. I am one of the winners.:D. I shoul get my money in 3 week time.
Half of it is a nice dinner with my wife. The other half to beer (paid membership to HBT included).
Is not like I won the lottery but some spend cash is more than welcome and it´s the first time in my life that I win something. Just wanted to share :D

I don't want to rain on your parade, and I hope it's legit, but I hope they didn't ask you for any personal information. I don't know too many banks that are in the habit of giving away a million bucks just because. If it is legit, then congrats.

This sounds like that nice Nigerian Prince that called me the other day...

Seriously, I hope you really did win something, but I'm more hoping you don't contact your bank to find your accounts drained of cash!!!

It´s a small office the director call me from his cell phone (I already had him in my contacts) And I now him in person and it was him I don´t think he will be trying to pull a scam or a prank it is legit.
Edit: they never asked me for personal info.

Update: I drop by my local office. The prize it´s legit and I already sign the paper work for it after taxes I get €800 (around 1000 USD). Maximun time it will be in my account is 30 days but in the bank they told me it should be in two or three week time:

:ban:

So you know the branch manager. Well enough to have his phone number in your cell...

And you won the prize.

What a crazy random happenstance!

Ejejjejejje I have his cell phone most of the customers of that branch that been working with them for years have his cell phone too. I have him from two years ago from a loan that I asked for in that time. No tricks no strings attach just luck!

lol - so many pessimists here.
Congrats OB!

No, so many people looking out for each other, but, next time, yeah, we just won't say anything!

Something still doesn't sound exactly kosher with this, but, hey, anyone getting emails about winning the Canadian lottery from now on, I know I'm gonna keep my trap shut!!!

:p

I don´t understand what is so hard to believe?

In American banks, the bottom line is that they are ONLY there to make money, not give it away. So to hear something like this, it just sounds too good to be true. Everyone here is just looking out for your best interests, because while we all love to hear a good story, we don't ever want to hear that it happens to one of our good friends. If my bank called me up and said I won a prize that I didn't enter for, I would be EXTREMELY skeptical.

With that said, I will trust your judgement on this and say congratulations to you.:mug: But I'm still a little jealous that I don't ever get that kind of good luck.:D

Lol yea I work for a bank. They definitely give away a lot of prize money for random things. Story is not unbelievable. And for all those who keep hating the fact that banks also make money, DUH!!! They're businesses!! What do you expect? Show me one business who doesn't have a revenue plan, and I'll show you a failing business. If pessimists would actually look into something rather than just hating they may be oddly surprised at what a banks intent is. And yes, making money is one of them.

It is a campaign that the bank started to fidelize customers. Here having your payroll and your bills in a bank is where the bussiness is, some banks will give you present or points or whatever so you change, some other banks will enroll their premium members in things like this.
By the way I also recieved a letter from the bank some hours ago and I did read the terms and conditions fully. The only two things that I have to do is pay 20% tax for the profits and they may or not take a picture of my for publicity. Thank God I´m an ugly mot******er don´t thik they want my pic.

Just and update: I finally got my money on the 22nd of November after tax €790 (around 1000 USD) so yeah wasn´t a hoax.

Latest posts

Back