Deal or no deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerguyNC61

Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up 3 15.5g kegs for $120 total. My questions are...

1. Is this a good deal for 3 used kegs?

2. How much would it cost to make all three into keggles?
Mash Tun, HLT and Brew Kettle.....

3. Is this the best way to get into a 3 vessel system?

I would be building a Kal clone electric system.

Thanks in advance.....

I've paid $20 per keg in the past, so...

If you have all the tools, you can convert into a weldless MLT for about $85, boil kettle/HLT for about $65.

Bobby could give you more precise numbers ;)

ya i think it is a little high for the kegs. I think about 30 per keg is a good deal... Remember most of these people paid a 35$ deposit...

I guess anytime you buy a 1/2 barrel keg from an individual it's a price and a moral dilemma. I think a lot of them are just plain stolen. Then the rest were obtained by not returning them and forfeiting a deposit. This is just something I've wondered about, but to me a deposit on a a full keg is a deposit and not a purchase and the seller does not really own it. About 16 years ago, I had kegs that I converted and I purchased them as seconds from Spartanburg Steel.

ya i think it is a little high for the kegs. I think about 30 per keg is a good deal... Remember most of these people paid a 35$ deposit...

in which case the kegs would be stolen property, and you would be guilty of recieving stolen property if that were the case.

that aside, the price largely depends on what they are worth to you. i couldnt find any for a long time in this area, so i ended up paying $150 for three legal, decomissioned kegs. ive seen used, good condition kegs going for up to $80 each around here. if thats all that is available, then it may be worth it. lots of people apparently can find them cheaper though...

Aside from the ethical dilemma, I think it is a good deal. Not sure about your local area, but where I'm at kegs on craigslist usually go for $50 or more. And your only other option is to search high and low for legal kegs or pay $200 or more per pot for some purpose built pots. You can cut the top off and drill a hole easily. There are a ton of videos on youtube. You can get the fittings cheap on bargainfittings.com. Your false bottom is going to run you $100 or more. I got one from Norcal and couldn't be happier, although splurge for the handles cause I wish I would have got them now. Without spending a lot more money this is how plenty of brewers make great beer.

Back