Anyone running a 6" burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
I am about ready to pull the trigger on buying three burners for my brewing rig I am building. I see that Hurricane makes a 6" burner. I was thinking of getting that for the MLT. Technically it would be easier for me to get three of all the larger 10" size so I can build three wind screens and mounts of the same size but I have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I'm running 6" ring burners like this one:

http://www.agrisupply.com/burner-cast-low-presure-multi-hole-/p/40282/cn/5400000/

I have one set up for low pressure (MT direct fired) and one for high pressure (BK). I like these burners a lot and have not come across anything that works as well for an all purpose burner. The big Banjos and Hurricanes are overkill IMO. Most any burner can be made to work, but for batch sizes up to 12 gallons or so, these are ideal. This is essentially the same burner found on the Bayou Classic SQ-14. I really like the excellent flame control at all levels.

I'm running 6" ring burners like this one:

http://www.agrisupply.com/burner-cast-low-presure-multi-hole-/p/40282/cn/5400000/

I have one set up for low pressure (MT direct fired) and one for high pressure (BK). I like these burners a lot and have not come across anything that works as well for an all purpose burner. The big Banjos and Hurricanes are overkill IMO. Most any burner can be made to work, but for batch sizes up to 12 gallons or so, these are ideal. This is essentially the same burner found on the Bayou Classic SQ-14. I really like the excellent flame control at all levels.

Any idea how well would these burners work using NG as opposed to LP?

Any idea how well would these burners work using NG as opposed to LP?

I don't have any experience running them with natural gas, so can't help with that question. I would think that with the proper orifice that they would work OK with NG.

It had right in the descriptions:

"Can NOT use with natural gas, orifice is too small"

You can buy a natural gas orifice that will fit the 6" burner, or drill out the supplied orifice. Not really a big deal. They all use the same burner casting.

So I talked to Hurricane and they said there are two different valve types. They are:

63-5165 valve for Low Pressure Propane
63-5165nat valve for Low Pressure Natural Gas

They said Williams or Northern Brewer can hook me up.

So it sounds like there quite a few people running the 6" without any problems. Thanks for the feedback!

Back