Yeast sticking to sides of bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
So on my last couple of brews I have noticed that yeast isn't just collecting at the bottom of the bottle, but also creating a thin layer on the side wall of the bottle. This has all been with the WLP023 Burton yeast, this is the first generation I harvested from a batch a few months ago. The beer tastes just fine, so I don't think something else has infiltrated my yeast stocks, though it has changed a little in behavior since I first started using it as well. On the first few batches, I would get a nice solid, even yeast cake but the last two have been very chunky. I assume the two changes are related in some way, maybe its because I have had the yeast in the fridge for a few months. I guess it doesn't much matter, as long as the beer tastes good.

I do use starters to revive thhe yeasties and even oxyclean has trouble cleaning the bottles!

I have been noticing this as well... I generally give the bottle a quick little twist and the yeast will release from the sides and fall down to the bottom where it belongs. However, this is usually done right after bottling (1 week after or so) so the yeast is still fairly willing to move around. Just a suggestion, YMMV.

I've experienced this. General consensus was that a build up of static was causing some of the yeast to stick to the glass.

I have been noticing this as well... I generally give the bottle a quick little twist and the yeast will release from the sides and fall down to the bottom where it belongs. However, this is usually done right after bottling (1 week after or so) so the yeast is still fairly willing to move around. Just a suggestion, YMMV.
I have tried that, and it does lessen the amount of yeasties stuck but it unfortunately doesn't get them all.

I've experienced this. General consensus was that a build up of static was causing some of the yeast to stick to the glass.

Static can't cause yeast to stick to the side of the bottle while submersed in beer. Even if that were the case, the bottles would be vastly easier to clean and even an overnight soak in oxy clean did nothing for me... :(

Back