Old kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryKDuff

Reaction score
I started brewing from kits around 6 years ago. I made 5 or 6 batches of decent beer (reading through threads here I realize now I bottled too soon) and one sour batch of Scottish Strong (which taught me not to use my mouth for the siphon).

I got away from brewing, however, when my daughter was born 4 years ago. I am now back with renewed enthusiasm and my first batch currently in the primary for almost a week. My question is about my four old kits, three of which are 4 years old and one that is 2 years old (a Christmas present from my brother trying to lure me back into brewing). Can these be used with any expectation of getting good beer? Do I need to replace particular ingredients? Or is it all garbage now?

The 2 year old kit is a True Brew IPA. The 4 year old kits are a Doppel Wieizen, Brass Ale and Irish Red from Niagara Tradition (LHBS). All the ingredients (malt extracts, grains, hop pellets) seem to be still sealed with no visible signs of spoilage.

Judging from the threads I've read, you folks don't seem like the type to leave ingredients unused long enough to go bad, but any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is site is a godsend (I made the noob "push the grommet through into the wort" mistake and the thread here eased my mind considerably).

Quick addition - the kits have stored been in a cool, dry basement for the entire duration of my hiatus.

If they've been stored in a cool area, I personally, would use them.

But I'm just some guy from the internet

I also just got back into brewing after a SEVEN year absence. When I dug out all my old equipment I found a kit that had been packed away the entire time. I bought new yeast, but otherwise I plan to start it tomorrow evening. I'll let you know how it goes.

The hops may be "bad" bud aged hops are good for sours. The grains may have some stale characters, and the malt extract I would just go by taste. I would just brew them and see what comes of it. You could stumble accross the best beer ever.

Back