First Brew in the Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerdentist

Reaction score
Overall everything went well. I hope my sanitizing technique was good enough. No Boil Over! Pitched the yeast a little higher than 80 degrees, my thermometer and the one on the bucket had different readins. OG was 1.050, that was the top of the range given. Put Vodka, as suggested, in the airlock... i think some was sucked into the primary.

Any problem with problem with pitching the yeast at a little too high temp? Any problem with vodka being sucked in through the airlock? Any suggestions on how to not stare at the airlock now?

As long as it cools within afew hours, no biggie. Just dont ferment that hot. The vodka, not a problem.

Good News. Woke up this morning and there is definitely action in the Airlock. The temp is around 74. Transfer to the secondary in two weeks. I want to start my second brew already.

Pitching yeast at higher than normal ( for that particular type of yeast ) temperture wort can result in more esters, fussels, and diacetyl that you might want in your beer.

Try to be paitent next time and pitch into fermenting temperture wort.

If you ferment the first few days at too high a temp, it can def lead to some nasty flavor. I'd drop that down to mid-high 60s if you can. Remember that the temp measured on the outside of the bucket is probably a few degrees cooler than what is going on inside the bucket. Fermentation creates it's own heat, and it can be a few degrees difference.

But also keep in mind that this is your first brew and it will still be decent beer. But don't let that discourage from controlling fermenting temps. Controlled fermentation temperatures are a big step to consistent great beer.
As far as how not to look at the airlock, Don't stop yourself. Stare away and don't forget to sniff it every now and then. But don't let the airlock tell you anything. Never use the airlock as a guage for activity. Buy a hydrometer if you don't already have one. This is the ONLY tool that can accurately tell you when fermentation is complete. Some people will tell you just wait a certain time. But this is guessing and is risking bottle bombs and/or unfinished beer. Different yeasts work slower than others.

I was able to get the temp down to 68 today... Really like watching that airlock bubble away.

Latest posts

Back